• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Le_Danse_Macabre

SDL vs. Allegro

This topic is 4791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I dunno. Which is better, a fork or a hammer?

I use a fork more often, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to build a house with one.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I prefer Coca Cola.
I also prefer SDL. SDL is simply wonderful. It has one only problem: its version for PocketPC sucks.

Basically, SDL and Allegro do almost the same thing, just differently.

In my opinion, Allegro is easier to use if you're just getting started in 2D. Everything is laid out for you in an easy fashion with Allegro, and you probably won't require any extensions to get started. One thing Allegro has over SDL is the ability to draw most primitives by default without having to write you're own functions. Although, you could just get SDL_gfx and have the same effect. Overall, Allegro is easier to learn, so if you've never done any 2D programming, I'd give it a try.

SDL may not be as easy to learn, but I believe it is more capable than Allegro (after you get all the SDL extensions). The greatest thing about SDL, IMO, is all the great extension libraries to it. Things such as SDL_mixer and SDL_net provide greater capabilites when making 2D than Allegro can offer. However, I found SDL to be generally harder to use than Allegro.

Overall, both are great 2D libraries, so it is up to you to decide.

This topic is 4791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.