[.net] Loader lock with latest DX SDK?

Started by
1 comment, last by Arild Fines 18 years, 7 months ago
Since I installed the latest Managed DirectX (August 2005 Update), whenver I run any Managed DirectX content in the debugger of VS 2005 beta 2, I get the following exception: "Loader Lock Was Detected Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initialization function. See D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\sdk\bin\mdaBoilerplate.exe.mda.config for documentation." Anyone else running into this problem? Any ideas regarding a way to solve this?
------Tech, life, family, faith: Give me a visit.
Advertisement
Just ignore it. It will most likely not cause you any trouble. The DX team is aware of it, and will probably fix it eventually.

You can read about what the underlying problem is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/vcconMixedDLLLoadingProblem.asp. Essentially it is about mixed DLLs (containing both native and managed code) that require initialization and have a DLLMain that initializes things like the CRT. It doesn't play very well with the .NET runtime, for various reasons. But you'd have to have a lot of bad luck before you actually got affected by it.

My project, AnkhSVN, uses a mixed mode DLL which has this problem. We decided early on to just ignore it. We've never seen an error report that could be traced back to this yet (over 2 years).
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Also, I'd just turn off the warning, it'll bound to get annoying pretty soon. You can switch it off under Debugger->Exceptions->Managed Debugging Assistants.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement