math in games

Started by
17 comments, last by nilkn 18 years, 7 months ago
Math is good! The more you know math the better!
Advertisement
god damn it you dont need to calculate anything if your using APIs. Like you should calculate every point on a module when it turns by 10 deggres. Just say:
DrawModel();
Model->Rotate(0,20,0);

// But i do have to agrea about that non-game related stuff
Quote:Original post by cpprules
god damn it you dont need to calculate anything if your using APIs.

LOL!
You're still using and dealing with math when working with APIs.
The more you know about math, the more you will know about the API and what makes it work. THe more you know of that, the more you will know about you're game and the better you will be able to work with it.

I remember reading a while ago about someone who learned Calculus and said they only used it once in all the games they have programmed. Calculus is actually rather easy. If you can do Algebra you can do Calculus. It just takes a little longer to work problems out.

As people have mentioned before me, Trig and Algebra will be fine but the more math you know the better as games are really nothing but math when it comes down to it.
I gues so, You have to understand it deeply. Like i do, hahaha.
But actualy you can't make anything without any math skills. You have to think in C.
Quote:Original post by cpprules
You have to think in C.

Absolutely!

Unless you're coding in C++.

Or Java.

Or Pascal.

Or Perl.

Or Python. Or Ruby. Or VB. Or LISP. Or Flash. Or C#. Or...

Programming has nothing to do with languages. Programming is in the mind, and the more your mind is attuned to thinking in terms of rigorous logic (the sort that formal mathematics employs) the more prepared you will be to think in the ways that programming requires.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

The more math you know, the more it will help.

However you can still get far with some simple math like equations, some basic trig and vectors. If you plan on making 3D graphics i can recommend matrices also.
I'm not that good at math myself, but i do know how to use vectors and matrices, and i find it's often enough. If there's something i don't know, i just look it up and learn what i have to. Of course there are times when i wish i were a math genious. The more you know the easier it will become...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Despite some of the comments made about it, Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers by Wendy Stahler is a good book that covers all the basics you'll need for vector and matrix math. It goes though some of the concepts that are required in 2D and 3D games as well as tells you why you need to know them. Just go to your local bookstore and take a look through it. And don't be scared of bringing out your own peice of paper and pencil [wink].
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Personally, I think 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development and Physics for Game Developers are better choices. [smile]

(Although, in the case of cppgirl, I would stay away from Physics for Game Developers until you're good with some integral calculus and differential equations!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement