sprite size?

Started by
4 comments, last by namingway 18 years, 7 months ago
on an rpg game like the snes final fantasies what size is good for the character sprites?(walking around not battle)i currently make sprites at 16x16 or 24x24 if you think sprites should be a little bigger for more detail please say so.
Advertisement
What resolution?
IIRC, SNES resolution could go from 256x224 to 512x448.
I think your brain/eye makes up a lot of the detail anyway.
Have a look at the Shuku tutorial (middle left) under tutorials here...
http://www.spriteart.com/main.html
It shows you can get detailed enough sprites at 12*16
I belive the sprites in FFVI were 32x48 pixels, but I could be wrong.

A little off-topic, but in my game we decided to make our map sprites 32x64 pixels and our (character) battle sprites 64x128 pixels. However, we use a high default screen resolution in my game (1024x768) which is much bigger than what you typically see in a SNES RPG. (The resolution can be changed of course, but the size of the sprites scale with the resolution size). We decided on these sprite sizes by simply making some example sprites and seeing how they looked when placed in their surroundings, and these two sizes worked well. Here's the main character:

There is no right answer to the question of "What resolution and sprite size do I use?". It simply depends on how you want your game to look artistically.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

thats a good size its really clear with the resolution setting I might start trying sizes aroudn that. Better get practicing Thanks fellas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement