Rag Dolls + .X file animations

Started by
1 comment, last by DrGUI 18 years, 7 months ago
The physics in my game works so I can make a stick figure with joints but putting life into it is where the .x file animations would come in i assume. From what I could tell with games like Half Life 2, when a player dies the predefined animations are disabled and the rag doll physics takes over. i'de like to integrate the bones of my animation with the geometry of my physics engine. I've never done animation before so i'm really not looking forward to it... So my question is, would an X file have the coordinates, dimensions and weights of the bones so my physics could use those values? thanks, V.
Advertisement
bump
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to write a complete intro to animation, but the following might help you with your problem...

Usually, the AnimationSet I think, gives you the transformation (vector), rotation (quaternion), scaling (scalar) and the matrix with all of these combined.
You can calculate the dimensions of the mesh of each bone with DirectX's ComputeBoundingBox.
The weight, if you mean as in grams, is not stored in the animation so you could store those in a different file or calculate a weight based on the volume of the bounding box.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement