• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mizipzor

Need some help to keep going

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know all the c++ basics, I know how to use SDL. Well... Ive read the tutorials and Ive created some small demos but no "real" game. But a complete game still seems like a little bit much just yet, and I dont want to do another demo game. I cant really come up with something that makes me feel ambitous and stuff (like it was before everytime I made a game with the latest function Ive learned :P). Im thinking of joining some beginners team and try to make a game. Maybe that would make the process a little more interesting. Anyone else that feels the same? Or have been in this swamp?

Advertisement
Mizipzor, Creating a "complete" game may seem like a bit much, but you can do it as long as you set yourself realistic goals.

I can tell you about my own experience with my game Jooleem. I found a small flash game that I enjoyed playing, and re-implemented it from scratch in C++ and SDL. It was, and still is, a great learning experience. One of the reasons I chose to develop a puzzle game was that unlike a demo, it is a complete product - it has an architecture, a development cycle and (hopefully) users. On the other hand, a puzzle game is a small enough project so that it can be developed by one person in a realistic time frame. In a one-man team, you get to see all sides of the game's creation, and be involved with every single aspect of it. So basicaly, you are getting the best of both worlds.

I think it is important to develop at least one game, from start to finish, all by yourself. You learn about a lot more than just coding that way. You get to do high level design, project management and, if you have the talent for it, game asset creation.

Nice idea. Well game clones have been suggested by I didnt think of simple flash games. Ill give that a try, thanks. :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be a clone. The flash game was only an example for a simple puzzle game. You can, of course, come up with your own ideas, just make sure you can actually make them happen.

If you do choose a clone, try going for something that hasn't been done to death (Tetris, Breakout etc.). Also, try getting permission from the original creator. I contacted the guy who developed the flash game, and he was really excited at the prospect of someone developing a game based on his creation.

In any case, good luck, and I'd love to see what you come up with.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!