• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
XVampireX

Reproduction of Content

This topic is 4674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm working with a team right now, Working as a game designer, right now I'm in an arguement with the team because at first we were going to work on a Dungeon Siege 2 mod, but due to Dungeon Siege 2 not supporting custom dlls anymore, there can not be done any hardcore modding. Ok, So anyways, the question is this: Are we allowed to take ANY content from ones game engine + game itself and reproduce it in a different engine and call it something like Dungeon Siege 3 and sell it? Hey, Don't do anything with me ratings, I'm just trying to show this person how wrong he is and I don't want for GPG or Microsoft to sue us for copyright infringment.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
IANAL, but my understanding is that they own all IP rights that they did not explicitly give to you in the EULA. Read it to see if they allow it. I would guess not as MS is very interested in making money on IP it owns.

Not quite familiar with the terms...

As far as I know, the EULA itself does not mention anything about REPRODUCTION of content, but it does mention some other stuff like no reverse engineering, reproduction of content could also be called reverse engineering in a way, because if the engine itself would have been closed for modification then the only way to steal content would be through reverse engineering.

But anyways, the arguement is over and we're now discussing about our own engine (Or a free/commercial engine that has the features we need and/or comes with source), and we'll most likely not use any game content from dungeon siege 2 though...

Uhm, will using a different games tool (In this case Dungeon Siege 2 tool kit) to produce maps and somehow (magically, or not... lol) porting them to our own engine be considered theft of game content? The map is generated through the tool, not in the game itself, but it has the map nodes from the game itself...?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!