• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ProgrammingNerd

playing mp3's

This topic is 4698 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Community Which is better to play mp3's with directmusic or directshow? Also, some links would be best. I'm using the august 2005 sdk. Thanks for any help, ProgrammingNerd

Advertisement
DirectShow seems to be the better choice, since it handles all of the decoding and rendering for you. The same goes for playing back movies and other multimedia. Even though the DS api is a little unorganized, I have always liked the useful functionality that it provides.

If you look in the DirectShow SDK (I think it's up on MSDN now, they removed it from the DXSDK), you will find some examples in there. You can do pretty much any type of audio format - wav, wmv, mp3, ogg - whatever (as long as you have the necessary dshow components installed).

Read some more on this topic here. It explains why you should use DirectShow to play MP3's.

I'd just use something such as FMOD or Audiere to handle mp3 playing because they make doing so quite easy from what I've heard around the forums.

Of course I'd rather just use .OGG files with either of those two libraries or OpenAL due to the license costs associated with MP3's (note theres more to the subject than that page, but that's a start).

Hello,
I didn't know that it costs cash to use mp3's in games. Well, that strikes out using mp3's. Are using ogg files a good approach? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help,
ProgrammingNerd

THere's more to the story of using MP3's, for example if you sell less than some number, like 100,000 copies or something (don't quote me on that number) then you don't have to pay royalities. But it's not just 'Free' to use.

Quote:
Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.

Pretty much sums that up. Nowadays, more and more games are using OGG files because they are indeed free, yet can sound just as good, if not better as the MP3 file format. It's definitly worth going with IMO. Here's a link to the SDK, since it seems the page it broken right now.

Note that you can use OGG with DirectSound and DirectShow for sure, I don't know about DM.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!