FRAPS-like app (source included)

Started by
4 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 7 months ago
Ok, so inspired by a recent thread I decided to make an FRAPS-like application that can overlay info like FPS over any OpenGL game. It's done, and I though I share. You can find it here:http://www.angelfire.com/games5/mikeman/A_GL_CATCHER.zip All you have to do is run gl_catcher.exe and it will be attached to any OpenGL app. When you don't want that anymore, just close it. It displays the fps, the resolution and the renderer. Source is included, so you can edit the DrawOverlay() and MySwapBuffers() functions to define your own behaviour(I suppose it wouldn't be too hard with a few additions to capture screenshots). I've tested it with several games(including Q2 and Doom3), so if you encounter any problems let me know.
Advertisement
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this, works good so far. I just downloaded a random NeHe tutorial and ran it [wink]. R++! What kind of license is this released with and what can we do with the source? Also, any links for influences on the techniques you used to make this?
That is pretty damn cool! One bug I found with it though - I tried it out on a vb.net level editor tool I'm making using CsGL (as a control) & it worked fine, however when I closed the catcher down with the app still running it completely killed the contents of the csgl control as well (draws a white box with a red cross in it) & crashed the program.

Did you write it? I'd be interested in the licence for this as well. I'm checking the source in a minute to see about screencaps & video capture possibilities.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
i test in some of my app without it the fps high but when i use it the fps get drop to 70~% down >_<
DrewGreen, thanks for noting the bug, fixed it and uploaded it again. The source is free, you can do whatever you want with it. As for the FPS drop, I've only experienced a couple of frames lost in all the games I've tried it, FRAPS loose more from what I've seen.
that was quick :D many thanks for this
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement