• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sathenzar

DX9 book problems

This topic is 4674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. I keep running into the problem with beginning DirectX 9/C++ books is that they always say "So, as promised, lets keep moving on to the fun stuff and keep the theory to a minumum." The only problem is when you're beginning on DirectX 9 you need the theory (at least I do), or they will start off explaining everything and then stop explaining things at all. So if anyone has any good books that might lay it out for you completly I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Hi there sathenzar, How are you doing buddy?

The Problem
Most of the starter books that come out are just giving you a taste of the theory since they want to get you into actually getting some eye candy running rather than boring you with alot of math in the beginning.

The Solution
I would say from my personal experience that reading the DirectX SDK documentation is excellent and should be read on a daily basis. I believe that the SDK documentation is a good start for anyone interested in really learning DirectX. If you want to start with theory I would say that a good math primer book is in order.

Math Primer Books
3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition

Those books are quite good and I have read one of them. I believe that a good math background is a very important starting ground.

Other than that I can only suggest that you make use of the free resources here on Gamedev.net.

I hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Thank you for your help so far. I was more looking along the lines of jsut exmplaining why things are there. Not just say they are there just b/c they are. That doesn't teach me anything. The problem with me is I need ot see how all of it works. For ex. pD3D = Direct3DCreate9( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) creates the main Direct3D object and it's only parameter is the version, which you can just fill with the pre-defined D3D_SDK_VERSION macro. I'll read the Microsoft SDK, but normally I have found Microsoft has people so smart they forget that they are teaching (somtimes) people like me that have no clue how DirectX (outside basic handling (setting up Direct3D/Input/Music/Sound)...) works. Thank you again for your help. Any other ideas are welcome. Btw just to give you my level of understanding of DX9, I have just completed the Beginning DirectX 9 book by Wendy Jones. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!