• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
InsaneBoarder234

C# Invisible Registry Value?

This topic is 4793 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've never touched C# before but I've got this program I made and I thought I'd take a shot at converting it to C# as an attempt to start learning the language a bit but I've come across a strange problem. I thought I'd use the Registry/RegistryKey classes to store some program settings in the registry but I was having trouble with it so I wrote a quick test program that from what I can make out so far, should do what I want.
using Microsoft.Win32;

public class RegAccess
{
	//Main function
	public static void Main()
	{
		//Registry key, initialised to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
		RegistryKey myKey = Registry.LocalMachine;
		object myData;

//Attempt to open the subkey
		if(myKey.OpenSubKey("Software\\NBSoft\\") != null)
		{
			//Subkey opened, read in values
			myData = myKey.GetValue("Test");
			System.Console.WriteLine(myData.ToString());

//Close the key
			myKey.Close();
		}
		else
		{
			//Create the subkey
			myKey.CreateSubKey("Software\\NBSoft\\");

//Open the subkey
			if(myKey.OpenSubKey("Software\\NBSoft\\", true) != null)
			{
				//Write out the test value
				myKey.SetValue("Test", "Test Value! Wahey!");

//Close the key
				myKey.Flush();
				myKey.Close();
			}
		}
	}
}

I ran this program twice and got the expected console message "Test Value! Wahey!" but if I launch regedit and goto HKLM\\Software the "NBSoft" key is there but when I click it no values appear. I can still run the program and get the message so apparantly the program is reading the value, but where from if regedit can't seem to find it? Edit: I have also done a search in regedit for the value with no luck :- Any ideas anyone? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
Looks like you're writing the value directly to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. RegistryKey.OpenSubKey returns a new RegistryKey object that you use to perform operations on that key. Furthermore, OpenSubKey will create keys as needed, so you can simplify your code to:

using Microsoft.Win32;

public class RegAccess
{
//Main function
public static void Main()
{
//Registry key, initialised to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegistryKey myKey = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey("Software\\NBSoft");
object myData = myKey.GetValue("Test");

if (myData == null)
{
// value doesn't exist, write it
myKey.SetValue("Test", "Test Value! Wahey!");
}
else
{
// read and display the value
System.Console.WriteLine(myData.ToString());
}

myKey.Close();
}
}

Thanks a lot for the help!

Your code caused an exception on the line "object myData = myKey.GetValue("Test");" because the call to Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey() didn't create the registry key. I just took out the myKey.GetValue() part and first checked if myKey was null or not before creating the key or reading from it.

Thanks again for the help, I have the program working now and I can see the value in regedit. I had a look for the value I wrote to the registry before in HKLM but it isn't there so I guess now my registry is stuck with a ghost value :S

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!