• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bengaltgrs

Lighting advice

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basically I would like to have a scene where about 5 AI enemies could be walking around a room, each holding a flashlight that lights up the room appropriately. I think that using a shadow mapping/projective texture method for each light would create the correct effect, but would that method be too costly? If so, are there any other ways to create the same effect thats not as costly? Also, would it be an absolutely horrible idea to increase the number of vertices in each mesh and just use the Direct3D Lighting to take care of all the lighting and specular stuff? -Chris

Advertisement
Using a proper lighting and shadowing approach (with projective texturing if you want a torch-style look to the light shine) for 5 light sources would not be too bad on current graphics hardware, but is probably not viable on anything below Geforce 3/4 class hardware and even then it will probably be running relatively slowly (depending on the rest of the scene). If you let D3D lighting take care of things it will be quite fast and run on a lot more hardware, and fairly good looking if you have a well tesselated mesh, but you won't get any shadowing.

Hope that helps.

-Mezz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!