• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

RTS type map ... hexagonal best?

This topic is 4617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to impliment a RTS type game platform using C (probably not even C++) but have never done anything like this before. I thought that a hexagonal type structure would be alright? like, each having pointers to the surrounding pieces? Or is it pretty easy to do pathfinding without this sort of structure? Also, would SDL be capable of supporting a large RTS using a structure like this? I have seen small games done with it but never anything like this. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

Advertisement
I think most games implement hex maps as a rectangular 2d array, not much different than used for a regular square tile map. Just you have six directions so northwest would be up one row, southwest down one, west and east one column across respectively and for northeast and southeast you move a column across as well as up or down a row.

It isn't an rts but wesnoth uses SDL and a hex map, so might be worth looking at as a start (www.wesnoth.org).

Hexagonal maps are useful for turn based strategy games, because they allow greater freedom of movement. But units in RTSes can usually move in any direction anyway, so a square grid (the squares can be projected as rectangles on the screen) is usually prefered as it's much easier to program and create art for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement