• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

me is new to version control.... please help me :)

This topic is 4550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm using subversion for my projects; And it's great for individual projects, but what about for controlling versions of individual files accross multiple workspaces (using Visual C++)?? For example: I have a file called "vector.h" that is used in 2 workspaces, A and B. I modify "vector.h" in workspace A, but workspace B has an old version of vector.h; How do i make it so workspace B can access an up to date version of "vector.h" without manually copying it over all the time? Please help :( Muncher

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
All you need:

http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/

thankyou for the help;

i am already using subversion; so why look at CVS? are there features in CVS that subversion does not have?

cheers 4 da links

ahhh, you mean like a dll or a .lib?
If so, would you recommend one above the other?

You don't even need to go with DLL or lib files, provided it's just a header (or a collection of headers), you can simply stick those in the common folder, and add that as an include directory for both projects, and boom, you're set. On the other hand, if the vector and whatever else you use with both of the projects uses a .cpp file as well as headers, you might want to compile it as a static library instead, to avoid the ahssle of having to manually add the .cpp file to every project that uses it.

Only commit a single copy of vector.h, and use it in both projects.

Set up your build environment so that both projects look in a common directory for common includes (i.e. headers)

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement