• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Hiding resources?

This topic is 4521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! How would one go about putting one's resources into a single file so individual files like textures, meshes, etc. can't be picked out and shared? Is there a way to compile them all into the executable? Thanks!

Advertisement
Check out Custom Resource Files, from the Game Programming Wiki. This can help you keep things organized. You can add a compression library like zlib to the mix, and make the resource files smaller.

However, if your only purpose is hiding the resources so people won't be able to "pick them out and share them", I would advise you not to bother. Any encoding can be decoded, and adding encryption is really excessive. Look at Blizzard, Epic and iD. They don't encrypt their assest, and seem to be doing okay.

(assuming you work on win*) Yes. You can put whatever file you want in the "resources" of your executable, give it an ID and take it in the same way you do with an icon, image, text etc. Example: the evil program.exe.manifest is a xml file that is injected in the code and if you give him the ID 1 the win loader will parse it during load-time in order to discover particular dependencies.
If you tell me what compiler/IDE you use I can explain it better.
A better idea is to have a huge zip/pk3 file in which you can store all your file. Take a look at zlib library.

Thanks for the replies! I'm using VS.NET 2003. Yeah, I guess there really isn't any point in hiding the resources. If someone really wants them, he'll get it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement