Sign in to follow this  
crickett

where can i go to practice game program writing on the net

please im new and i need practice!where can i go on the web to get some practice, not reading or anythin done lot of that but to actuallly practice!

Hmm what do you mean by practice? You want to wright game with out reading about it first? Do you know any lang such as C,C++,Java...?

You'll need to choose a programming language. Some of the commonly used languages include C#, C, C++ and Java among others, but I recommend starting off with another language to learn with and then moving on to C# (unless you have a specific reason to choose another) once you've learnt the basic techniques.

As a learning language, I recommend Python (along with the PyGame library once you've learned the basics of the language itself. Python can be a bit simpler than some of the more powerful languages, and will allow you to get some reasonable results on screen a bit quicker, but it'll still be quite challenging to start with.

In any case, once you've chosen a language, you'll need to purchase and/or download the tools required to develop in that language (typically a compiler and text editor, perhaps an IDE), and start practicing. Finding one or more good books on the subject is always a good idea, and online tutorials can also be very useful.

Alternately, you could try an authoring system, such as Gamemaker, BYOND or Game Editor (there are more out there if you Google for them). These sorts of systems will make it much easier to create a game, often requiring far less programming skills, but with the tradeoff that you get far less control over your project; it will be difficult if not impossible to make a game that greatly differs from what the creators were thinking of when they designed the system in question.

Hope that helps you somewhat, if you have any further questions feel free to ask. [smile]