Simple scripted JOGL application

Started by
2 comments, last by Krohm 18 years, 6 months ago
Hello all! I wanted to tell you I had to play a little with Java so, I felt the need to put some Open GL action in the developed program thuru JOGL. Now, GL subsystem itself is pretty basic (vertex arrays and some GL lighting) but I sometimes read questions on OpenGL under Java so, this may come in handy. If you have JDK1.5 installed, you can try it out here (just click on "run" in case your browser does not understand jnlp files, this usually works anyway). As I said, it does not look really impressive but it's completely scripted. The only things which are hardcoded are 1- A sphere is sphere-ish, a cylinder is cylinder-ish. 2- Light position and color 3- The whole parsing. 4- Actual movement behaviour. 5- Something other I cannot remember? All other things are data-driven thuru the script. Since scripting is another thing I keep hearing about, maybe you may find it interesting. Source code will be provided after this debugging run. I guess it's better for everyone if code goes to public already debugged enough, isn't it? Expect to see it 10 or 20September. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Feel free to provide comments or suggestions here or mail me. Please do not send me PMs, I'm still not used to them. As a second tier testing, maybe you could also play with the scripting itself. I guess it's easy enough to understand. Note the provided script says parallel vectors should have positive components but as I write this, the limitation should have been removed. (I didn't test it again however). There are three known bugs. 1st: everything will blow up if the first page is not avaiable. I believe this is a problem with JOGL's management of GLCanvas but I'm not sure yet. 2nd: browser behaviour is implementation-specific and very annoying on Linux(TM). I guess this cannot be solved by me. 3rd: the GUI does not redraw itself if it gets hidden behind another window. I believe this is Swing's fault and it shows on both win32 and linux. Tell me if you would like to have the source. Bye!

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
Hey, I am interested in learning JOGL. I was wondering if it would it be possible for you to send me the source code? Also, did you use any references/resources to create your files? If so, and you don't mind sharing the knowledge, what were/are they?

Thanks

My email address is joemafia69@hotmail.com
Hey Buddy i tried ur JOGL thingy and it looks nice how ever...

Since i dont have java enabled in opera(mozila) i used MS Internet explorer for viewing the page... This in result messed up ur Java app as the popups were sent to Opera and so once i closed the app and started browsing again did i have 10 new windows...

Might want to look into that
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I was wondering if it would it be possible for you to send me the source code?

Count on it. I was planning to release it fully. I'll try to upload it somewhere before the end of the week.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous PosterAlso, did you use any references/resources to create your files? If so, and you don't mind sharing the knowledge, what were/are they?

The application is self-contained, JRE, JOGL and JWS is the only thing required.
I'm not sure about the meaning of your "references" and "resources" ("resources" ad "win32 resources"?).
Quote:Original post by dawidjoubert
Hey Buddy i tried ur JOGL thingy and it looks nice how ever...

Good to know it doesn't crash. ;)
Quote:Original post by dawidjoubert
Since i dont have java enabled in opera(mozila) i used MS Internet explorer for viewing the page... This in result messed up ur Java app as the popups were sent to Opera and so once i closed the app and started browsing again did i have 10 new windows...

Might want to look into that

This is a known bug. How this actually managed to be in the final prototype is the result of an unfortunate design decision. I don't expect to fix this any time soon.
For additional information on this issue, expect an additional message on this thread.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement