Multiplayer fighting games

Started by
18 comments, last by sriniatig 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi We currently are entering the age of 3G technology which will be full fledge in the coming months. Do you think this medium is good enough to make a multiplayer fighting game ? As far as my knowledge goes, fighting games require the highest ping rates and require the lowest latency rates. So will this work on such a medium ? Do you'll game designers think that such a task can be accomplished? Al so if it does not work, then what knid of design ideas you'll can think of putting in a fighting game (e.g. Mortal Combat style). Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I can't imagine why it's okay to create multiplayer first person shooters if it's not okay to create fighting games. They both require the same response time. Shooters probably require slightly more. There are plenty of them out there, too. If you're looking for reasons that not many online PC fighting games exist, it's the same reasons that very few single player PC fighting games exist.
What I meant was on 3G technology and not PC gaming. What do you think about making a multiplayer fighting game on such a network ? Do you think it will provide the necessary ping rates. ?
I know that FPS multiplayer games exists out there. Also I know on what mediums they run : over the internet, on LAN, on 3G, etc. What I'm curious about is how fighting games are different in implementation from FPS multiplayer games on 3G networks. I also agree to the fact that if there are FPS games already implemented on 3G technology, then fighting games can also be implemented. The only point I want to clarify is , that technically is it totally feasable to create such a fighting game on this medium.
Help me out: 3G?
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Help me out: 3G?

^ Yeah... me too!
3G refers to the third generation of consoles (PS3, Revolution, XBox 360).
Ahh, I see, didn't Mortal Kombat die with the Sega Genesis? Do people still play mindless, overly-bloody fighting games? I thought the weapon of choice was large projectile weapons rather than hands and feet anymore? A new Bushido Blade would be cool though, even though I don't own a console and refuse to purchase another one.

Vopisk
Quote:Original post by Vopisk
Ahh, I see, didn't Mortal Kombat die with the Sega Genesis? Do people still play mindless, overly-bloody fighting games? I thought the weapon of choice was large projectile weapons rather than hands and feet anymore? A new Bushido Blade would be cool though, even though I don't own a console and refuse to purchase another one.

Vopisk

That was an extremely awesome game. Could've used some polishing, but hey, early PS1, you take what you can get! Playing others over the internet would be pretty neat...

Uhh, that said, I think the reason you don't see many over-internet fighting games is that they're typically between two people. FPSes can be filled with 16+ players, fighter's can not. It's just not as exciting. You can usually get a buddy to play a fighting game with you; it's a lot more difficult to get 15 buddies over to play an FPS...
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by Vopisk

Vopisk

That was an extremely awesome game. Could've used some polishing, but hey, early PS1, you take what you can get! Playing others over the internet would be pretty neat...

Uhh, that said, I think the reason you don't see many over-internet fighting games is that they're typically between two people. FPSes can be filled with 16+ players, fighter's can not. It's just not as exciting. You can usually get a buddy to play a fighting game with you; it's a lot more difficult to get 15 buddies over to play an FPS...

Well, why couldn't Bushido Blade be played MMO? Think of Shogun: Total War series of games, only on a player-avatar basis. It wouldn't be turn based, but neither were the "battle" sequences in Shogun. I think it would be awesome to have that fly-over camera angle looking down on a battlefield full of samurai and whatnot chopping each other to pieces. I think it would have to be a "king of the hill"/"Deathmatch" type game rather than respawning after X amount of time, but it would be awesome and I would pay money for it, but I would probably want it for the PC one way or another, since I've sworn off consoles as I said above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement