NVTriStrip's RemapIndices: what exactly does it do?

Started by
3 comments, last by coelurus 18 years, 7 months ago
^^ see above
Advertisement
Well, it really does exactly what the comment says it does.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// RemapIndices()//// Function to remap your indices to improve spatial locality in your vertex buffer.//// in_primGroups: array of PrimitiveGroups you want remapped// numGroups: number of entries in in_primGroups// numVerts: number of vertices in your vertex buffer, also can be thought of as the range//  of acceptable values for indices in your primitive groups.// remappedGroups: array of remapped PrimitiveGroups//// Note that, according to the remapping handed back to you, you must reorder your //  vertex buffer.//// Credit goes to the MS Xbox crew for the idea for this interface.//

It basically rearranges your vertices to improve how well caches and stuff are used. What I'd love, though, is if I had any clue just how it is I'm supposed to use this function.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
That function is only a few rows of code [smile]. What it does is it loops through all input primitives and tracks the vertex usage throughout. The resulting output primitives point to vertices in the order they appear. So, to "optimize", move around vertices according to the diff between the input and output primitives.
Quote:Original post by coelurus
That function is only a few rows of code [smile]. What it does is it loops through all input primitives and tracks the vertex usage throughout. The resulting output primitives point to vertices in the order they appear. So, to "optimize", move around vertices according to the diff between the input and output primitives.

what? could you repeat that in english please? [wink]
Heh, I admit my post was a bit rushed and I sort of converted code to "regular" text on the fly...

What happens is that all primitive indices are looped through. For each index to a vertex, we see if that vertex has been used already. If it has, then we'll use the index to when it was first used. If it has not been used yet, we allocate a new index by using the current number of vertices.

An example is always fun:

Vertex bucket = some 4 vertices (think of them forming a tetrahedron to make things easier)
Computed index-list = 3 'stripped triangles' = [3, 2, 0, 1, 3]

That looks like a jumbled mess, which is bad when we got indices up to a few hundreds.
If the remapper would have a mind, it would think like this:

"First I got vertex #3, I'll call that #0 since it's first. Next comes #2, I'll call it #1. #0 becomes #2, #1 becomes #3... Hey, I remember #3, I got it somewhere here! Ah yes, I called it #0."

Remapped = [0, 1, 2, 3, 0]

By comparing the old and the remapped lists, we see that vertex #3 should be stored as vertex #0, vertex #2 should be stored as vertex #1 etc. This can be done by allocating a new vertex bucket, looping through the first index list and lookup vertices. Copy them one by one to the position shown in the remapped list. Voila, a crude form of a vertex cache optimizer! I wonder why they didn't return the permutation table (or whatever it's called) along with the remapped index list, I probably chose to describe a rather inefficient way to remap the vertices...

Hope that will clear up the remap-function, now maybe I'll start to use it too [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement