Optimal liberal arts schools for Game Design?

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 7 months ago
I have been playing games on all systems (favorite is PC) incessantly since Baku Baku and Duke Nukem 3D. I am what some would call a "hardcore" gamer and then some. I enjoy coming up with game ideas, UI design, mapping, coding, etc. I have done extensive research on schools for game design; however, I want the atmosphere of a liberal arts school. I looked on EA's site for the list of schools but it was large and I am not sure which schools would be optimal for design. What colleges/universities would be optimal for game design? In what way are they superior to others? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
I must admit that I know little about the availability of game design courses in your area, but exactly what do you mean when you say you want the atmosphere of a liberal arts school?

Since I'd think game design schools are probably rare, you could just do a liberal arts course and pick subjects that would be useful for a game designer (i.e. do some programming, some basic maths, psychology, creative writing, and a wide range of arts course to make a broad individual). And make your own games in your free time to get some practice.
Liberal Arts colleges have degrees in the "liberal arts". That is, you're going to see things like music, philosophy, physics, math, history, psychology, computer science, and other pure/general subjects; you're not going to see things like architecture, engineering, game design, and other specific/applied subjects.

Also, what do you mean by "liberal arts atmosphere"? That can mean so many things. For example, my alma mater, in my opinion, had a great liberal arts atmosphere. Small, close knit, laid back, academically focused, activist, etc. etc. etc. Is it what you're looking for? (University of Minnesota-Morris (UMM), if you're interested.)

I think your best bet for "game design" would probably be either:
1) A major in computer science and minors or majors in one or more of: physics, math, psychology, philosophy, theatre, studio arts. This will be the easiest route and will provide a little more depth in which ever aspects you minor/major.
2) An interdisciplinary major drawing from the above fields. This could provide a little broader perspective by drawing from all the fields (probably focusing on computer science), but will require work convincing the PTB that it's a valid major and may not have the same "oomph" on a resume.

Hmm... but I haven't named names as far as schools go. Really, it sounds like you have a very specific college experience in mind. Your first goal should be finding a college that provides that. To some extent, you should also consider a college's reputation, however, if you're willing to answer when opportunity knocks, that's not really that big of an issue in my opinion.

If you really want me to name a name, I'll say check out UMM. I think it has the atmosphere you're looking for, has a good reputation both as part of the UofMN and on its own (we like to call ourselves the best public liberal arts college). Small town setting is either something you love or hate (or both). Hmm... one caveat, our football team is horrid. Recently broke our record losing streak. Go Cougs! :)
Go to Vassar. Major in Cognitive Science. If you can get through Ken Livingston's "Perception and Action" class, you'll be on your way to excelling at anything.

Seriously, though, CogSci is a great game designer's major. Formal training in logic and computer science, combined with extensive experience with team-based long-term projects and a real appreciation for how seemingly simple things can mushroom into a whole thesis in very short order makes for an effective software designer.

Unfortunately, there's like a 30% graduation rate, because it's a very hard major and there are many beautiful girls at Vassar.
I go to ITT Tech for game design. To take the 2 year game development program, you need to take a 2 year multimedia program which covers stuff like Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, and Macromedia Flash. Then you take those skills into the game development program and start fleshing out games. Its not heavy programming - we use apps like Game Builder to create games. The emphasis is on game mechanics, gameplay, design, storyboarding, level design, etc. If thats what you're looking for, Id reccommend ITT.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Unfortunately, there's like a 30% graduation rate, because it's a very hard major and there are many beautiful girls at Vassar.

Well, ya know, girls like a guy with a "hard major". *nudge**nudge**wink**wink*
*nudge*
*wink*
*crickets chirp*
forget it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement