Sign in to follow this  

Help on what to do next

This topic is 4486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, Before I start I just wanted to say this is a great site and its very helpful to me. I need some advice on what to do next. So far I bought the Beginning game programming in C++ by Michael Dawson (its a great book, i think). But I'm almost done and I want a book that goes more into the C++ language before I get into the graphic APIs. I was thinking of getting Accelerated C++. Also I want to have a side project while reading the Accelerated C++. I was thinking of a Connect four game, but I think the AI for the computer player might be a bit too much for me right now. What do you think? Is this a good idea? What other game project could I work on? Thanks for any advice you'll give me.

Hey Simian thanks for the suggestion. When you say console do you mean a graphic less program that appears in DOS (well that's what the games I made look like with the Beginning Game Programming C++ book)? Also the book had a tic tac toe program that I looked at and played around with. What I want is some simple game that I can start without using any examples just to see if I can make something from scratch. Instead of me looking at the code and saying, "Oh that's how you do it." Although I'll post questions here when I need help in the project.

You could always try to do, like a text based game with very simple functions. from what u have learned. The connect 4 sounds like a very cool idea. But as someone who has just streated in c++ to I think the AI would be hard to do but no impossibley. Stuck with c++ though it is a great lang in my opion and I hope you have luck with what ever you dieced to do. A good c++ book to is Learning how to Programe in c++ by Deitile&Deitile.

Yeah I think I'll try to do some kind of text game, but first I think I'll try a variation of tic-tac-toe that's harder than the regular game. Thanks Reborn.

This topic is 4486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.