Help on what to do next

Started by
3 comments, last by eektor 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone, Before I start I just wanted to say this is a great site and its very helpful to me. I need some advice on what to do next. So far I bought the Beginning game programming in C++ by Michael Dawson (its a great book, i think). But I'm almost done and I want a book that goes more into the C++ language before I get into the graphic APIs. I was thinking of getting Accelerated C++. Also I want to have a side project while reading the Accelerated C++. I was thinking of a Connect four game, but I think the AI for the computer player might be a bit too much for me right now. What do you think? Is this a good idea? What other game project could I work on? Thanks for any advice you'll give me.
Advertisement
Cosole tic-tac-toe might be a good start
Hey Simian thanks for the suggestion. When you say console do you mean a graphic less program that appears in DOS (well that's what the games I made look like with the Beginning Game Programming C++ book)? Also the book had a tic tac toe program that I looked at and played around with. What I want is some simple game that I can start without using any examples just to see if I can make something from scratch. Instead of me looking at the code and saying, "Oh that's how you do it." Although I'll post questions here when I need help in the project.
You could always try to do, like a text based game with very simple functions. from what u have learned. The connect 4 sounds like a very cool idea. But as someone who has just streated in c++ to I think the AI would be hard to do but no impossibley. Stuck with c++ though it is a great lang in my opion and I hope you have luck with what ever you dieced to do. A good c++ book to is Learning how to Programe in c++ by Deitile&Deitile.
Yeah I think I'll try to do some kind of text game, but first I think I'll try a variation of tic-tac-toe that's harder than the regular game. Thanks Reborn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement