Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Glak

unresolved external symbol (still need help)

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

ok normally when I get this, it is because I haven't implemented something or because I forgot to include a library under my project settings. Ok here is what I have under (MSVC++ 6.0 btw) Project>Settings>Object/Library Modules: d3dx9.lib wsock32.lib dxguid.lib dinput8.lib d3dx9dt.lib d3d9.lib winmm.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib Here are the error messages: Linking... graphics_startup.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateFont@12 graphics_startup.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateSprite@8 graphics_startup.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate9@4 graphics_user.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA@56 input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIKeyboard input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysKeyboard input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIMouse input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysMouse input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectInput8Create@20 input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectInput8A main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0 Debug/refactored.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 11 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. refactored.exe - 12 error(s), 0 warning(s) If anyone could help I would definitely appreciate it. [Edited by - Glak on September 5, 2005 2:47:39 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I get the topmost ones when I forget to link to D3DX9.lib. Sorry I can't help anymore than that, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
added it, didn't get rid of any errors. I get the idea that it isn't about the libraries but some other setting somewhere. I have a similar project (this new project is basically the old project being rebuilt and tested to clean it up) in the same workspace with essentially the same libs and it links just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think so. Here is what I did:

I made a new project in the same workspace. I copied the list of libraries from the old project to the new project. I selected bits of code from the old project and moved it to the new one. The new project did not work, even though it should be a simple subset of the old one.

Eventually I just gave up and moved the original code out of the old project to a holding area, and then moved the "new" code into the old project. Everything works. So I found a workaround but it is very disappointing that I simply cannot get another project going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nope, MSVC++ 6.0 does not allow you to specify separate libraries for different builds. The same list of libraries is used whether you are doing debug or release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Glak
nope, MSVC++ 6.0 does not allow you to specify separate libraries for different builds. The same list of libraries is used whether you are doing debug or release.


That's not true. There is a drop-down box in the dialog for Release/Debug/All. This allows you specify debug libraries for Debug builds and non-debug libraries for Release builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did you update your DX SDK recently? If you did, it will not work with VC++ 6.0. I think the summer 2004 was the last one that worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nope, I haven't changed anything on this computer, though thanks for the warning. I have two projects in the same workspace with exactly the same libraries being used with the exact same files, one works and the other doesn't. I don't like to blame my tools but I'm starting to assume a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!