Sign in to follow this  
Erik Sintorn

UVW mapping, what is the W?

Hello, Here's a stupid question for you. When trying to write an exporter for 3dstudio MAX i found myself kind of lost when it comes to exporting the uv coordinates. In maxscript I can only get the UVW coords and I don't know what the W is. My first brave approach was offcourse to ignore the W completely thinking it was somehow connected to 3d textures that I don't use. That didn't work at all though and examining more cloesly what is saved down I see that the W coord is normally 0.5 but sometimes something completely different. What is the W coord? How do I go from UVW coords to plain old UV coords? Thank you, Erik

Quote:
Original post by Erik Sintorn
Hello,
Here's a stupid question for you.
When trying to write an exporter for 3dstudio MAX i found myself kind of lost when it comes to exporting the uv coordinates. In maxscript I can only get the UVW coords and I don't know what the W is. My first brave approach was offcourse to ignore the W completely thinking it was somehow connected to 3d textures that I don't use. That didn't work at all though and examining more cloesly what is saved down I see that the W coord is normally 0.5 but sometimes something completely different. What is the W coord? How do I go from UVW coords to plain old UV coords? Thank you,

Erik

You could ignore the w coordinate, if you're only using 2d texture media. Most exporters do just that. Then again, if you're going to use volumetric textures, the third dimesion would be quite nice [smile]

Modern graphics cards can be fed 3d texture coordinates just fine, if you actually need them.