why should I learn VB.NET

Started by
23 comments, last by Shannon Barber 18 years, 7 months ago
It's as fast as C#, it's simple, I like the syntax (I prefer it to a C-type syntax, I find it easier to read - End If/Exit For type statements are easier for me to understand rather than }-does-everything)... if you're learning C#, then you can pretty much directly translate between VB.NET and C#. If you prefer a C-type syntax, go for C#. If you prefer a BASIC-type syntax, go for VB.NET.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Advertisement

go to:

http://java.sys-con.com/read/45250.htm

However, this just means the server version of the JVM produces faster, more efficient code than gcc C++ compiler. It doesn't mean one language is faster than another beucase thats impossible. Languages are just a syntax. C++ is seen as some ultimate efficiency lanugage, but people dont' understand that lanugaes are just english like replacements for machine instructions. C++ has pointers, to let you access memory. Does that mean a language without explicit pointers can't produce better optimized code?

And VB.NET is only JIT compiled the FIRST time you run the program. After that you just have the machine code forever. You could try to write a program that executes faster in C++, but you'll find that your not really able to make it run much faster than the machine code VB.NET program.
It's just a bias people have when they see something different. If someting is like

If i > 10
'do stuff
End if

instead of

if(i>10)
{
//do stuff
}

They assume that the complier can't possibly match the machine instructions of a C++ compiler. But that's not true and many languages with a reputation for beling "slow" have outperformed some of the top C++ compilers. They are slow becuase of their design goals. Are they to be interpreted? How many layers of virtual machine does it have? Is it JIT compiled every time or just the first time you run it?
And with that said i'd like to congratulate the Sun for making, maybe the fastest compiler in the world.

And I would like to thank microsoft for making a platform where C++ goes no faster than VB and compiles to the same machine code.
SNR -> 0
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement