How does one make a sprite set?

Started by
3 comments, last by Omegavolt 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, please look at this page for examples: http://www.molotov.nu/?page=graphics If I wanted to make a single image, would I use MSPaint (or something else) and just do it one pixel at a time and just make sure the image is 16x16, 32x32, etc. Is it pixel art? These are for very simple 2d graphics and game making basics using gamemaker in an educational setting. I thought perhaps the students could just use graph paper and create an image and then using the appropriate program just transfer the coordinates to electronic form. Not sure MSPaint has a grid though. Suggestions for this are welcome. They are younger kids (no offense) 9 - 12. Thank you for your time.
Advertisement
A good way to work with your sprite pixel art would be to first use the Zoom/Magnify tool/feature of your paint program to magnify the drawing area anywhere between 400%-1200%. This way you can easily plot coordinates by counting pixels.

If your paint program has no grid feature, just make one using the Line tool. Like I mentioned above, you'll have to count pixels to make sure the grid-lines are spaced exactly.
http://blog.protonovus.com/
So they are all done the same, just one pixel at at time?
Essentially yes.. thats why itsw called pixel art...
A good tip for creating characters is to start with a skeleton or sillouhette of the character and then fill in the details from there..

Check the sticky's for tips and tuts on pixel artistry..

Good luck!!
MS Paint does have a grid. You have to be zoomed in quite a bit (usually 6x or 8x) to get it to show though. In Paint's Windows menu, click View -> Zoom -> Show Grid.

So, your best bet would be to size your canvas to 16x16 or 32x32 using the corner cursor. Then click on Show Grid. That will allow you to build a sprite by transfering the image block by block from graph paper.
Pixel Artist - 24x32, 35x50, and isometric styles. Check my online portfolio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement