Angels 20 v0.8.9 Feedback Requested

Started by
7 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 7 months ago
Hey everyone, My friend and I have been working on this game for about 4 months now, and we'd like to know what everyone thinks about it at this point. We are getting pretty close to finishing the game, and we want to know if theres anything you guys really like, or really hate about it. The current version has had a number of improvements made to it since our last release. The new version's changes include: -New Smoke Emitters -2 New Weapons -New Control Scheme -Menu system -New Levels -New HUD system -AAA Trucks and Flak Panzers -20 new tiles -4 destructable tile states -explosion animations -numerous little changes no one will notice Unfortunately, this new version currently requires a faster computer to run it than the last version, but we're working on it. Please try it out, and let us know what you think. Angels 20 v0.8.9 Screen Shot Screen Shot Screen Shot Screen Shot Screen Shot Screen Shot Screen Shot [Edited by - Sir Sapo on September 7, 2005 9:02:19 PM]
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
Pretty cool. It made me laugh too how you could go into a loop from a standstill :P but that's ok, this is an arcade style game.

I found it kind of hard to maneuver. Mostly due to not seeing the ground until you are almost right on it. It's not too bad if you hold the airbrakes the whole time but you get hit alot. Might be better if the ground is always at the very bottom of the screen instead of the middle. Would give a better view of the battlefield at low altitude and make high speed passes easier. Also perhaps shift the view depending on your direction so if you are flying to the right you can see further in that direction by shifting the view to the right. Kind of adds a touch of realism also since you would definately see better in the direction you are heading and less behind you. Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope that is helpful.

It definately has potential. Goodluck with the finishing touches.
Thanks.

We've been having trouble with the view since we started the game, and we never really solved it, just put it on the back burner so it never got fixed or improved on.

Also, my original demo had stall physics and inertia, but everyone complained that it was too hard to fly the plane, so I simplified it, and removed a lot of the advanced stuff out of it.

Again, thanks for playing and giving us your comments, we'll get to work on that camera now.
Quote:Also, my original demo had stall physics and inertia, but everyone complained that it was too hard to fly the plane, so I simplified it, and removed a lot of the advanced stuff out of it.

Yea the physics really isn't important for this arcade style of play. It's fun like it is I just feel some tweaks to the camera would really improve the gameplay. Also maybe adding in custom keybinding would let the player customize it to their style making flight even easier then maybe you could think about adding in some simplified physics if you really wanted.

Oh, one other thing. When you get to the edge of the level you bounce back in the other direction. Is this just in the demo level and in a finalized mission will the mission be complete when you reach the end? just curious :)
The levels are more "complete the objectives and return to base" than "get to the end of the level". We're going to add an objectives checklist to the game, but until then, just destroy all the units on the level and return to base to beat a mission.

As for customizable key bindings, I'm beginning to think that's worth the hassle. I've been doing some beta-testing with random people in my school, and I've found that about 50% of them have left a, "I wish you could press____ to fire your gun...", so it sounds like having customizable controls would be beneficial.

Thanks for the comment!
Lookin' good!

The game ran great, no problems speed wise. I really like the new menu system, has a very cool feel to it.

The cluster bombs, and the laser range finder are very cool as well.

Now, on to the nitpicking :-D

The engine sounds seemed to be constant, even when the plane crashed. You could possibly adjust the pitch of it according to the speed of the plane. Maybe fade in an afterburner sound when you reach a certain velocity.

When you press escape you should go to an intermediate menu, instead of just bumping out to the main menu.

In your control/help menu screen you say that "Control" switches between flight and hover mode, though "Shift" actually switched between the two modes, a little confusing at first.

There wasn't any sound on the 40mm secondary weapon, though I'm sure you'll get to that :-D

Also you should play some sounds when your plane gets hit by incoming bullets.

One other thing that was kind of funky, when you select your secondary weapon, it looks like you're overlaying the text filled with the same background color as the sky, you should overlay it using transparency instead.

I had a barely noticible line going through the middle of the screen, the bottom half of the sky was slightly darker than the top half, that allowed me to see what I mentioned above....this could be a result of my monitor's colors not being configured correctly...if so, ignore that one ;-)

Also as gnomer mentioned above, maybe slide the camera back based on the speed of your plane. The ground does come up pretty fast...maybe you could fiddle around with the vertical camera positioning as well? Or make it an option so the player can adjust the camera offseting.

Hope my feedback could be of some help, and I look forward to future versions. Keep up the good work!

- Dan
Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Quote:The game ran great, no problems speed wise. I really like the new menu system, has a very cool feel to it.

The cluster bombs, and the laser range finder are very cool as well.

Thank you!

Quote:The engine sounds seemed to be constant, even when the plane crashed. You could possibly adjust the pitch of it according to the speed of the plane. Maybe fade in an afterburner sound when you reach a certain velocity.

Yeah, initially I was using FMod, but then I realized if I wanted to market the game I would have to pay 1000$ for the license, so I stopped developing the sound system, but now that I discovered they have a shareware price for 100$, I'll work on my sounds again[grin].

Quote:When you press escape you should go to an intermediate menu, instead of just bumping out to the main menu.

Yeah, we never really needed a intermediate screen when we were testing it, but I can see why someone who was just playing the game would want one.

Quote:One other thing that was kind of funky, when you select your secondary weapon, it looks like you're overlaying the text filled with the same background color as the sky, you should overlay it using transparency instead.

I had a barely noticible line going through the middle of the screen, the bottom half of the sky was slightly darker than the top half, that allowed me to see what I mentioned above....this could be a result of my monitor's colors not being configured correctly...if so, ignore that one ;-)

Yeah, both of those have to do with the way the game handles its textures currently. That line down the middle of the screen is actually inside the texture that mark drew for the background, so we can change that one.

Quote:Also as gnomer mentioned above, maybe slide the camera back based on the speed of your plane. The ground does come up pretty fast...maybe you could fiddle around with the vertical camera positioning as well? Or make it an option so the player can adjust the camera offseting.

I just added a semi-smart camera that zooms out when you can't see the ground, and zooms back in when you flay closer to the ground, so problem (sorta) solved there[grin]!

Quote:Hope my feedback could be of some help, and I look forward to future versions. Keep up the good work!

You're feedback is very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to write some!
Quote:I just added a semi-smart camera that zooms out when you can't see the ground, and zooms back in when you flay closer to the ground, so problem (sorta) solved there!

sounds good, can't wait to see it in action :)
Yeah, I still have some issues to resolve with the field of view when the camera zooms out, but it works great, and I'll let you guys know when I put the updated one online(soon probably).

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement