Sign in to follow this  
ProgrammingNerd

creation of a game engine

Hello, Community! Well, my stupid computer had to die and so I had to reformat it, but in the process, lost my old engine because my harddrive went corrupt and couldn't recover it[sad]. Well, time to make another engine. I wan't to make this better than ever[smile], but I have a few questions. First, should I use multiple threads in the engine. If so, where. I think it would be useful in loading levels, etc. Second, is it necessary to have to enumerate all avalible devices when using d3d? Is it bad to assume that the best card on the computer is always the default. Third, when the window gets resized, and I have to reset the graphics card, do I need to recreate DirectInput and it's devices because the window is different now. Fourth, is my approach to the creation of this good. Create a framework that call upper level overridable funtions(virtual functions) such as:
virtual HRESULT ConfirmDevice(...)
virtual HRESULT ProcessInput()
virtual HRESULT AnimateScene()

and so forth. Or should I take a different approach. Fifth, any ideas to make this better!! [smile][smile] Thanks for any help regarding this, and I promise to back up my harddrive more than twice a year[smile]. You all know better than me :) ProgrammingNerd

Quote:

First, should I use multiple threads in the engine. If so, where. I think it would be useful in loading levels, etc.

sure. probably for async I/O and sound.

Quote:

Third, when the window gets resized, and I have to reset the graphics card, do I need to recreate DirectInput and it's devices because the window is different now.

the window doesn't have to change to reset the graphics device.

Thanks! I was just wondering if a fullscreen-window switch would require a rebuild of directinput.

Any help on this would be appreciated!!
Thanks for responding,
ProgrammingNerd

[Edited by - ProgrammingNerd on September 5, 2005 8:51:15 PM]