Sign in to follow this  

How to avoid data piracy?

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How to compile a program in VC++ that will make my link data such as .x files, textures, sounds and etc., becomes encrypted and cannot accessed or used by others? advance thanks!

Best way is to use a library to archive those files, then encrypt/decrypt the data to deter anyone trying to take out the files. Note that for the most part, this will make it hard to obtain the files, but doesn't make it impossible. It's not that hard to write your own custom solution. I wrote something called Simple Archive, that does pretty much this. Feel free to take a look at it. For a quick overview on it look at the temporary webpage for it here. It comes with examples of how to use as well as the source so you can take a look at how I went about it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There is no fool proof way to protect your data. Even if you just keep it stored remotely they can sniff it off the wire. Just encrypt it yourself as much as you can without killing your applications speed.

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Best way is to use a library to archive those files, then encrypt/decrypt the data to deter anyone trying to take out the files. Note that for the most part, this will make it hard to obtain the files, but doesn't make it impossible. It's not that hard to write your own custom solution. I wrote something called Simple Archive, that does pretty much this. Feel free to take a look at it. For a quick overview on it look at the temporary webpage for it here. It comes with examples of how to use as well as the source so you can take a look at how I went about it.

This seems to be the industry-standard approach to the problem, simply because it works quite well (and it keeps the number of files down, too). For example, Valve's Steam architecture operates on such a system. The archive files are encrypted, and then uncompressed and decrypted at loadtime.

If you really want to protect your data, and put in the time to implement a fairly extensive filesystem, I recommend this approach.

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.