very newbie question

Started by
7 comments, last by ricekrispyw 18 years, 7 months ago
ok im interested in getting started in c++. but i don't know exactly how. i heard about compilers and that stuff but don't quite understand. anyone know a website or someplace i can find out about the basics and beggining c++ programing?
Advertisement
Hi

I personally would recomend you the book "beginning C++ game Programming" by Michael Dawson. He explains the stuff in a very clear way.
The cd that comes with the book has a great IDE: Dev C++. This compiler will be more than enough for a while and then you can try another one like Visual C++.
Pick this book if u can. Is really cool.
k. can you also recomend any good places on the web to look for stuff like that?
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Check this site:

http://www.cprogramming.com/

Good luck.
ok well thanks everyone:) i needed the help
Dev-C++ is a nice IDE that comes with a free compiler. There are some good free books online like thinking in c++ and teach yourself c++. Just google for them. If you never programmed before, you might want to check out Python.
Firstly some terms. A compiler is a program that takes the code you write using a programming and converts it into a form the computer can understand (an executable or dll file on windows generally). There are also some languages that are interpreted, meaning that instead of being compiled into an executable, the code in translated as it's run, but you don't really need to worry about that.

You also need a text editor to write your code in before you compile it. Any text editor will do, such as notepad, but there are some extra features that can help your job a bit easier, including syntax highlighting (changes the colour of keywords to make the code easier to read). This is where an IDE, or Integrated Development Environment comes in. An IDE is basically a fancy text editor usually with several other tools built in, and often comes with a compiler. If you were using C++, a good commonly used free IDE (it includes a compiler) is Dev-C++. Some people also like to use Code::Blocks.

For some online tutorials, you could try the ones here (linked above by m3rcyful ag3nt) which are very good, but a lot of people find it very helpful to get one or more good books on the subject.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I really can't beleive no one has posted this yet. Go there.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement