Sign in to follow this  

culling display list

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A very large area, basically made up of 100x100 quads more or less: If these were all put in a single display list, as opposed to a display list of a single quad copied, translated and rendered many times, is there a way to cull those parts of the area (and the big list) that are not displayed? I expect the single quad method is easier to do. But is there much of a difference in how much processing power is needed? I suppose this is similar to rendering large terrains.

basically, no. your call to glCallLists() will send it to the rendering pipleine. there the actual geometry may be clipped, but this would be default and not optimized based on camera position.

if you have just one tile, then create larger display lists of it and then cull based on there relative position. this is a really easy optimization, just a for loop inside a display list really (and a compare to your position). so i do suggest it is long as the lists are large enough you don't see popup.

100x100 quads is only 20,000 triangles. That's a lot for something like a GeForce 2 or an Intel Extreme, but it really isn't much for a GeForce 6800 or Radeon X800. "really large" is very relative these days :-)

Anyway, a single display list is a single thing you issue. You can't go in and selectively do things within the list; you have to slice it into several smaller lists and cull each list separately if that's your goal.

So basically a bigger area for the list instead of a single quad, say 3x3, and remove those that are not displayed? Sort of a middle ground?

Just for information Ive been reading about BSP trees and they are way out of my league. Interesting reads but not appropriate to what I have in mind anyways. ;o)

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.