Sign in to follow this  
CProgrammer

mixing fixed function and programmable pipeline

Well the question is wether it is bad practice to draw some objects using the fixed function pipeline and others with the programmable one. Is it preferable to just implement a trivial shader for fixed function rendered objects? -CProgrammer

I have a feeling those into shaders would say do everything that way. And I hear the FF pipeline no longer exists in DX10, though I don't know if this means you have to roll shaders to get anything on screen.

Personally I'd use FF if I wanted to get something rendered quickly, or something which would never nee more than diffuse colour and a single texture. But then I'm not practised with shaders so it would be quicker for me to do that. Maybe others could write a simple shader and use it faster than I code the renderstate settings etc?

Be careful when mixing the two, as the depth values produced may vary slightly even when doing equivilent work. For GLSL the built-in ftransform() can be used to make sure it produces the same result, I can only assume that other shader languages provide an equivilent.

ATI cards run everything through the programmable pipeline - the fixed pipeline is simulated with shaders. Because of this, the precision is always the same regardless.

Can't say the same for nVidia cards though.

Quote:
Original post by MENTAL
ATI cards run everything through the programmable pipeline - the fixed pipeline is simulated with shaders. Because of this, the precision is always the same regardless.

however if you wrote the shader yourself then it might be better optimized.