Must you be a programmer?

Started by
14 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 7 months ago
Sadly in most cases yes. That sounds like a pretty good idea. I could program for you.
Advertisement
Recruiting people over the net to work on your idea is bound to be hard. You have to strike up a repore with potential team mates.

Your best bet would be to make friends with programmers in real-life. Or just get to know some online without an agenda. As this is a hobby thing, people actually have to like you and your project to consider working with you.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
You don't have to be a programmer at all but some people might think you're just using them because you can't code. Most team members know the basics so they can at least get by if they have to. Unless you can find something that really loves programming, you might want to learn some basics. At least then you can keep up with them when they are talking.
you dont need to be a programmer but for a small game you need a art and programming, as for idea guy, leader, writer, level design, music and such they are less critical and someone one the team can probably scrape up the skills from somewhere so if you want be the leader without up front money you will probably need one of the first two skills.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
as for idea guy, leader, writer, level design, music and such they are less critical and someone one the team can probably scrape up the skills from somewhere so if you want be the leader without up front money you will probably need one of the first two skills.

[lol]

That pretty much describes my vision of modern professional game development teams. Not that it's a good thing. Programming and graphics are methods to present a game. You need a game to present.
Ok, don't mind me. Just playing the devil's advocate here... :)

Quote:Original post by XisZ
Well let us see...
I am very good at managing.

Says you... Do your teammates agree? ;)

Quote:
1.) I am entrusted with the title "Head Feild Manager" at my workplace (ok nothing involving game development there, but I am a HEAD manager at my workplace)

I've met some lousy head managers...

Quote:
2.) I did work on a few mods back in the day, and they turned out to come out well, one or two of course failed do to dis-agreements between staff.

Cool, but... disagreements between staff sounds like bad leadership to me. Isn't that what a leader is supposed to avoid?

Quote:
3.) I do have multiple talents in game developments.
Music Composing, 3d Modeling (however this isnt a 3d game), and unrelated task like WebDesign/programming

So, I don't see the problem here.

But how much of it have you offered up for the game? Have you made any kick-ass models to show prospective team members what you want the game to look like? Have you made a website showing it off?
Saying you have skill isn't enough. If you want people to join up, you have to *show* you have skill.
Next problem, how do your specific talents apply to leading a game dev team? (Ok, the website thing might not be bad actually, but people might have misgivings about joining a team led by an musician. [wink]

Quote:
But of course, it may have to be the fact that I do not have anything to show from the getgo to.

Most likely. Put it like this. At any time, there are at least 50 people wanting to start projects. Why would people join yours in particular? Should they just take your word for it that it's going to be a hit?

Quote:
Maybe if I write up design documents, and get SOME concept art in I might be able to pull this off huh?

Yep. That'd be a great idea. You need to show that you know what you want, and you know how to achieve it. Show that the project is going to get off the ground.

Or to answer the original question. No, you don't need to be a programmer, but it can make things easier. It allows you to make something concrete to show off. Design docs and concept art is nice, but an actual demo or ingame screenshots kick ass. ;)

The more you can do to show that the project is going to happen, the better. Programming can help you in that, but it's not a neccesity.

There's always a shortage of programmers, for several reasons. Partly because there just aren't many good programmers around, and partly because those that do exist tend to have dozens of ideas on their own, so they might not immediately be interested in joining a team (unless the team clearly shows more potential than their one-man show)
And as someone mentioned, a lot of people just want to "use" programmers to make their game for them.
As I said, most programmers are creative people with plenty of ideas on their own, so they're not going to join a team just to be told what to do.

[wink]

Anyway, good luck with it. In your case, I'd say draw up a detailed design doc, preferably consult with a programmer (to ensure you're setting realistic goals), make some concept art, and put it all on a good-looking website. If you did all that, I'd consider signing up as a programmer (or at least, I'd consider it if I had the time [lol])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement