Sign in to follow this  

Object position relative to another object

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello to all, maybe it's a silly question, but looking through the forum I wasn't able to find an answer. I'm using managed DirectX 9 and I simply draw some boxes (Mesh->Box()) Now... I want to be able to obtain (and set) the position of a some objects relative to another object... The main object is a box called Page, other boxes are smaller and must be collocated inside the Page. How can I specify some axis relative so I can get the position (possibly in mm) of the objects inside the page? Sorry for my english...

You're using a world matrix for the position/rotation of every object. Now if you want to have an object relative to another, concatenate the world transform matrix for that object with its parent. With matrices this is just a multiplication.

Take in account that the order of multiplication with matrices does matter!

Thank you for you reply.
My problem is not matrix multiplication, but how can I set the origin of the Page object?

I want it to be in a particular place, I'm going to have a large number of pages (60-100).

And I'd also like to have some grid on it...

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.