A Welcome To Myself

Started by
21 comments, last by Pixel Bob 18 years, 7 months ago
I thought i would post a hello thread just to make everyone aware of my exsistence on the forum, in between the multitude of other threads that will more than likely appear during the course of today, My name's Scott, i'm 18 and am currently living in Scotland. My programming experience is a little narrow justnow, being mainly Comal87 through school and i'm just looking into BASIC4GL which is similar in structure to Comal87 but interfaces with OpenGL so i am able to make some small games. I do have a copy of Microsoft Visual C++.NET 2003 but up until now, want to make small steps in languages. As you've probably heard a million times before, the games industry is my goal, but having problems with maths is a wall in the path to victory at the moment, and something i hope to eradicate soon enough. I'll be looking more into OpenGL justnow, but i'm getting a little frusttrated as to where to go after that, obviously to C++, but i would like to find as excellent resources on C++ programming and OO programming in the language as possible. Also, do you think i'm a little old to start programming seriously? I've always felt i have been.
Advertisement
You're never too old ;)
Quote:Original post by evolutional
You're never too old ;)

Well now that i think about it, possibly not, i'm not scared of C++, it just seems a little over my head at the moment and well, it seems a little embarrasing as such, not being able to code like the "pr0"'s but of course, they obviously started the way i started. =) I'm going to be studying a 2 year course with Oxford University for a Diploma in Computing in January so i have that to look forward too i suppose.
Mhe.. 18 is nothing :P And C++ aint that hard if you get a good book. Accelerated C++ is a good book apparently, buy that one :)

Cheers!
Welcome to the forums! [smile]

18 is still plenty young enough. I'd suggest perhaps investing in a good book, such as 'Accelerated C++' if you want to learn some C++. Since you mentioned OpenGL, I'll also point at the NeHe tutorials, which are a great place to get started with OpenGL.

P.S. Check your PMs at some point. [wink]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Too old?? No! I would of started then too, but since I heard of C++ I decided to try it and thats why I started since I was eleven(now 13 and registered). And welcome!
it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you are willing to learn and invest the appropriate time. Don't rush it. And 18 is young :P

Get a good book and do every exercise you can. Eventually it all comes together and makes sense. The more exercises you do in a particular area of the language the better you get at it and the more ways you see you can implement it in your own projects.

Goodluck and welcome to the forum! :)
I'm another 18-year old Scotsman.

I've been programming on and off in VB for a few years, but seriously got into C++ in about November last year, and I've kept going since.

I was 17 1/2 back then, and I didn't think it was too late to start.

Good luck!
I uninstalled my Microsoft Visual C++ program today incidentally seeing as i couldn't find the small "Getting Started" guide book that was included in the package as well as some SDP posters, yes it seems Microsoft even supply posters.

I was hoping that the small guide may have been available online as an E-Book but it seems not as i searched high and low on the Microsoft Tech section of their website and i'm always wary of online guides.

Now, do i install the program and start afresh, or not?
Howdy Pixel Bob. Welcome to Gamedev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement