3D Game level.....How to make it?

Started by
6 comments, last by AlbertoT 18 years, 7 months ago
I try to make level with 3dsmax and milkshape3d but i 've found there're quake level maker program as worldcraft, Q3radiant. I don't know which program i should use. Do Worldcraft or Q3radiant easier than 3dsmax ? What're your opinions? which program u use to make level? where to download it ? Thank ... Bug_aonz
Advertisement
WorldCraft is easier in my opinion, but the EULA does not permit you to make maps for anything other than Valve titles.

qRadiant, should be fine as long as you use a GPL version (IE not the one included in DOOM 3)

Other than that, there is QuArK, which is pretty good, or you can get gameSpace and my Mapper plugin, which you can get bundled with gameSpace.
actually, the guys at Valve _did_ make an exception for making maps for the Torque engine. so you could do your buildings/structures with Valve Hammer/Worldcraft, and use them in Torque.

In general, game level editors are much easier to use than 3DSMax, for the simple reason that they were designed for this job from the start.
The problem with them is that they are usually designed for just one engine. So Worldcraft is mostly for Halflife, Q3Radiant for Quake/Doom, and UnrealEd for Unreal engine games...

But it's all valuable experience, anyway. Which game are you trying to make levels for? That's where you should start.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Assuming you've got an appropriate exporter, I'd go for 3D Studio Max. I'm not an artist, but I find Max a hell of a lot easier to use than level editors, or anything else for that matter.

After the difficulties I've had with Milkshape and Gamespace working on my current project, I'm so saving up and getting myself a copy of Max once I've got a job again.
Quote:Original post by ahw
actually, the guys at Valve _did_ make an exception for making maps for the Torque engine. so you could do your buildings/structures with Valve Hammer/Worldcraft, and use them in Torque.

If I recall correctly, they (the guys at garagegames) did say that about the Valve guys, but it's not on paper, on the last EULA for Hammer, there is no such exception contemplated, I have not checked the EULA for the version shipped with HL2 though, but given the problems between Sierra (the V12 was originally a Sierra engine) and Valve, I doubt Valve would allow it.

Try "cartography shop" you will find it at www.thegamecreators.com it also has a built in .x exporter
kwizatz: I don't recall anything being told about the Valve Hammer, that's true.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Chartography Shop is the best IMHO

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement