Is Microsoft giving the big FU to game devs?

Started by
26 comments, last by Nitage 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Is Microsoft giving the big FU to game devs?

Definitely not. They are giving the Yuck Fou to everyone, regardless of their job, sex or political beliefs :)

I have seen the above idea on an early MSDN article quite some months ago. Namely, that, at least as a first step, they end support to standard winapi and strongly encourage everybody to migrate to .NET. But I would not worry for at least 4-5 years about complete lack of support for it, its way too deeply linked. (And I am a newby at .NET -> (therfore) .NET sucks..).

Did they talk about timeline at the conference? I'd very much like to know about that.

I still wonder how the idea of .NET writen drivers hasn't upset some stomachs yet. After all, they would have to take their own medicine if they go all the way through with it.

Tudor

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
I don't see how they could build the CLR without the Win32/64 API.

In its current incarnation, I don't suppose they can, but with each new OS, they have the opportunity to reverse the situation - where once the Win API was the base, with the CLR being written to run on top of it, in the future, the CLR will become the base, with the Win API will be a thin layer over the top.

At least, that's how I understand it from the vague rumours I've read on forums like this.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
They may, at some point, depreciate Win32 API fully, but untill there is a complete transparent wrapper for unmanaged code (ie, like a sandbox), they have no way of getting rid of unmanaged applications in general. On the other hand, that sandbox is a full possibility in the future. Microsoft has no intention on limiting the portability TO its operating system, as is clear from those who pay close attention to its unix porting APIs, and similar areas, that this is just not the case in the future either.

The future can go one of two ways, either microsoft can reimplement how the C/C++ compiler works, creating embedded CLR rather then its mock attempts to reinvent C++, or CLR will need to be opened up and implemented as a standard availiable for all operating systems. C++++
Its actually just the opposite, MS is working hard to improve the development enviroment/platform for all developers, with a big chunk off their efforts having to do with games and multimedia. Games are the 3rd largest computer use as reported in a recent study, just behind the internet and email. I believe the numbers indeicated that 20-25% of people use their computers to play games regularly, making it a major factor in the success of the platform as a whole.

Sometimes one has to adopt a new paradigm to move forward, However. For example MS has said that DX 10 would break compatability with prior versions 7, 8 and 9, to provide a better platform going forward. MS can't simple abandon all that DX 7-9 software though, so there will be a compatability layer, probably a call-translator, as is already done with DX 3 and 5.

MS, as big as they are, are nothing without their developers, so it benefits them to make life as easy on us as possible. They've also taken steps to provide free software to us in the form of the free Visual C++ compiler and other offerings. I hope to see them provide a basic version of their IDE along with the compiler as well in the future (Most [all?] other platform vendors provide free compilers/IDEs as well.)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Game programmers are normally slow-on-the-update when it involves a switch of system, its like people buring Win16/32 boxes when everyone migrated away from DOS.
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter
C++ is the language of choice for most game developers.

You may have noticed that the Win32 API is written in C (and as such contains some nasty bits of code that make it difficult to use cleanly in C++)

What Microsoft is doing providing a new object-oriented Windows API in C++ (that is standard C++ not .NET). Surely this helps developers (personally, I'm looking forward to being able to pass a member function as my window procedure without it requiring a few hundred extra lines of code).

At a time when MS is losing serious ground to Linux (many government organisations and coporations are switching to open source) why would Microsoft make want to make software for their OS more difficult to write?
Quote:Original post by Nitage
What Microsoft is doing providing a new object-oriented Windows API in C++ (that is standard C++ not .NET). Surely this helps developers (personally, I'm looking forward to being able to pass a member function as my window procedure without it requiring a few hundred extra lines of code).

You mean things like the WTL?
Quote:Original post by Nitage
At a time when MS is losing serious ground to Linux (many government organisations and coporations are switching to open source) why would Microsoft make want to make software for their OS more difficult to write?

Umm Microsoft hasn't lost any actual marketshare to Linux as of yet, and I highly doubt that could ever happen. Right now Microsoft has 4 main competitors, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP for the new OS. Anything else like Linux, Apple, etc are just a drop in the bucket and don't amount to much. Maybe when there are more Linux users than a 10 year old OS by Microsoft they might begin to worry.

Serious ground? .. lol slashdot?
Quote:Right now Microsoft has 4 main competitors, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP for the new OS

What do you mean, competitors? MS owns them - and MS no longer supports win98 - no more new win98 updates.
I'll give you a beating like Rodney King who deserved it!=====================================Any and all ideas, theories, and text c2004,c2009 BrainDead Software. All Rights Reserved.
Quote:Original post by drarem
Quote:Right now Microsoft has 4 main competitors, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP for the new OS

What do you mean, competitors? MS owns them

Exactly. As far as non-server OS's go, MS has no competition except the people that refuse to switch to the next hacked versionOS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement