Is Microsoft giving the big FU to game devs?

Started by
26 comments, last by Nitage 18 years, 7 months ago
I keep reading about how Win32 is deprecated and how everything needs to be in managed code. So are they saying we need to port hundreds of thousands of lines of C-runtime compatible visibility, collision detection, and physics code over to a .NET language with no access to assembly? HAHAHA. The thought of this makes me just sick. What's the point of having SIMD instructions in a CPU if you can't utilize them in a game engine? This is just freaking me out somebody please put my fears to rest... or let me know I need to get to work on porting. Thanks
Advertisement
I don't see how they could build the CLR without the Win32/64 API.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by Izron
So are they saying we need to port hundreds of thousands of lines of C-runtime compatible visibility, collision detection, and physics code over to a .NET language with no access to assembly?

No.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
This is why they provided mechanisms for executing unmanaged code from a managed code application.
Just as DOS was "deprecated" for many years since DOS3.3 was released, and yet, it was [strong]the[/strong] OS for PC games.

Tom#
Beware of the Mighty Hamster!
All major game developments studios have multiplatform engines (PC, PS2, NGC, xBox, PSP, etc.)
Microsoft has no mean to force all of them to make games specially for PC and you'll never see Sony with managed code ;).
bullshit

Microsoft is still doing lot's of things for native code. If you see what kind of enhencements they have made to their 2005 c++ compiler (pogo, OpenMP etc.), and that directx 10 which has a lot of new stuff, is still mainly c++ based. They won't do that for something they find depracated.

even xbox 360 works with native code, and it won't run managed code out of the box.
Quote:Original post by quasar3d
even xbox 360 works with native code, and it won't run managed code out of the box.

May I ask where you got this piece of information from? Or is this just rampant speculation again? (the part regarding not having the ability to run managed code out of the box)
Quote:Original post by Saruman

May I ask where you got this piece of information from? Or is this just rampant speculation again? (the part regarding not having the ability to run managed code out of the box)

microsofts talk on the gdc europe last week
Quote:Original post by Saruman

microsofts talk on the gdc europe last week

Very cool, tyvm for the info. I'm guessing there are no papers/slides yet available?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement