Trouble with blocked ports.

Started by
2 comments, last by markr 18 years, 7 months ago
Ok. I just moved to my uni and found out that they block a ton of ports. I am a big time CS player and I really need to be able to play with my team. I tried to get a private connection but they dorm does not allow it. How do I get around the blocked ports? These are the only ports I have open after doing a port scan. Open Port: 21 ftp Open Port: 80 http Open Port: 427 svrloc Open Port: 515 printer Open Port: 548 afpovertcp Open Port: 631 ipp Open Port: 3031 eppc Open Port: 3689 daa Ports like 27015 and around that are the ones I need access to.
Advertisement
You don't?

Perhaps that's not accurate... you shouldn't.

I was a big time Quake player when I was at university. Spent a bit more time enjoying the campus T3 than attending class and focusing on my studies [and social time]. Just something to consider.

That said, to circumvent this sort of port blocking, you'd need the server on the other side to change their listening port, or a server on the outside to listen on one of the open ports and proxy the connection for you to the server you want to go to.

There's a few apps that make this really easy, though I don't remember their names. That said, if the university is using some sort of protocol monitoring or intrusion detection system, it will likely flag you anyways [since CS traffic doesn't look much like FTP or HTTP traffic for example].
Yeah, I seem to remember using a socks tunnelling app to bypass a firewall to play UO once... I remember it being called Gatekeeper. Well, the exe was.

Had a quick google but can't seem to find it, I might have it on an old CD somewhere.

Anyway, a software socks tunneller might be the thing if the firewall's only blocking outgoing traffic.

It's a tree to bark up anyway.

This will only work if you're trying to join an external server, since incoming through the firewall aimed at disallowed ports will still get blocked.
Winterdyne Solutions Ltd is recruiting - this thread for details!
Your best bet is to take it up with the network administrator, explaining that your playing counterstrike is acceptable, and that they should unblock the ports so that you can.

If on the other hand, counterstrike is against your network administrator's policy, then you shouldn't be playing it anyway.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement