arcade circuit board production

Started by
3 comments, last by toxy 18 years, 7 months ago
I'm working on an application with the future goal of putting it in an arcade type setting. I know its probably kind of lofty and I've got a long ways to go, but I'm thinking that I'll have a prototype done in a few months using a pc, so if it comes out good I may need to know how to make quite a few of them. Currently I have these questions: 1)Where can I start learning about the issues involved in arcade game production? 2)Is it silly to think that I could make a prototype using a pc plus a homebrewed arcade setup and install it at a real site to see how it does? 3)To plan for my goal of "mass" production - if this involves arcade sytle circuit boards - what langauges/libraries should I be using for development? toxy
Advertisement
the Virtua Fighter 5 cabinet contains a pc:
http://sega.jp/arcade/lindbergh/spec.html

i don't think it is unreasonable, running windows on it however _might_ be unreasonable. [usually arcade cabinets are turned off by essentially unplugging them]
Alot of newer Arcade boards are based on PC hardware anyhow, in fact, many are simply nothing more than standard, off the shelf parts in a special, secure case with the proper interface addaptors and a customized OS. Others are based on recent consoles, and are essentially suped-up versions of their home counterparts. Sega's NAOMI and Sammy's AtomisWave hardware are based on the Dreamcast for example. Sega's recently announced board is PC based, using a Pentium 4 and an nVidia graphics chip. Others are based on Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Saturn, PS1 and the N64.

As for mass production, I would use Linux/OpenGL if you are comfortable with that environment, or shoot for WindowsXP Embeded, both on a standard PC hardware platform. There unfortunately are no available ready-made PC-based arcade platforms open to developers, but using a mame-like setup you should be able to get a good foundation. Most of the newer high-res arcade monitors accept VGA-style inputs, although the cabling may be hard-wired. Failing that, there is a card based on the Radeon 9200 chip which has been designed to output to older, standard-res arcade monitors called, I believe, ArcadeVGA. Mostly this is marketed towards mame-junkies who want a more authentic experience, but it might be useful if you want standard res (320x240, 15khz) and don't need DX 9.0 level features such as shaders 2.0. High-res, in arcade terms, is most likely 640x480 so take that into account in your design (ie - readable text size/UI elements) but if possible make it resolution independant in case you want to do a PC release later.

Adding in some more info: As the above poster said, Arcade units are exposed to harsher conditions than mose typical PCs. The power may be cut off unexpectedly, the arcade itself may be a smokey environment (which is bad for HDDs) and kids may beat on the machines, so physically the hardware/OS must be able to withstand these things.

A company called Roxor Games publishes titles based on linux PCs, one of the modifications they made was to modify the OS to basically be ready for power-down at any moment, another thing they do is to house their hardware/software in a tamper-resistant case.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Agreed. Your best bet is to develop your title for arcade is to design your software to work on an off-the-shelf PC. A good number of arcade games you see nowadays have standard PC components inside 'em. There are a few companies that have come out with standards for hardware and controls (joystick, light-gun, etc). You might wanna google for 'em.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Wow - you guys are really awsome, thanks for the replys!

Ok, so I'm thinking that Linux and OpenGL would be the best way to go. Here are a couple question on it though:

1)I don't have too much Linux experience, but lets say I use SDL, shouldn't that take care of the majority of my inexperience on the platform - at least in handling the media portion of the application?

2)Would the OS modifications(i.e. handling power offs,cutting the OS down to what I need, etc.) be overwhelming for a guy who doesn't have this type of Linux experience?

I do have a couple of years of experience developing for Windows so this may be an easier choice for myself + it would be cool if I could use c#. 1 more question:

3)If anyone here has built a Windows XP Embedded platform, can they can they say if its a reasonable project for someone who has mostly standard application development experience on the Windows desktop and mobile platform?

Thanks again!

[Edited by - toxy on September 6, 2005 6:54:39 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement