Sign in to follow this  

Pixel perfect texturing: ATI vs. NVidia

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using a single texture for the fonts in my GUI and created a bunch of display lists. The display lists are quads with texture coordinates corresponding to a given letter, etc, etc. Basic bitmap fonts. However, I get different results between my Radeon based PC and NVidia based laptop. The fonts show up pixel-perfect on the NVidia machine, but I need to add an offset of something like glTraslated(0.5, 0.5); on the ATI machine to get the fonts to be the same. Otherwise they're blurry/muddled. Unfortunately this offset difference also upsets the fine alignment in the GUI; lines don't quite meet at corners, etc. Are there differences between ATI's and NVIdia's driver implementations that cause this, is it a HW difference, or someting else? It's somewhat annoying to have to work around at the moment. I would like to have a universal method that wouldn't rely on checking to see if the video card is ATI, and then applying an offset.

Ok, now what are you using for texture wrapping? Is it GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE, GL_REPEAT, or GL_CLAMP?

You may want to try GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE. It isn't defined normaly, so you have to use glext.h, or just rip the define from the header.

I am not setting the texture clamping value, it is at whatever the default is. However, it's not really a texture seam problem. All the edges of the textures on the quads are 100% transparent. The entire texture becomes muddled and hard to read, not just at the edges.

I will try the 0.375 offset when I get a chance.

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.