DirectPlay, enumsessions, dialog-window, and one machine is both server-client

Started by
5 comments, last by BigBeginner 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi. I have 2 question. First: I use DirectPlay to use network programming. You know, the DirectPlay::enumconnections function give an list about the created servers on local network (LAN), right? Well, I call the function: Desc.Size = SizeOf(Desc); Desc.guidApplication = MYGUID; EnumSessions(Desc, 0, LPEnumSCallback, NULL, DPENUMSESSIONS_ASYNC or DPENUMSESSIONS_AVAILABLE); The one thing is: after calling this function, an dialog window appearing. How to disappear that? Its funny in an serious game. And the second: I have one machine, so can I make servers/cliens without network? For example I start my server-program two times, and the clients programs should to list the 2 server-names - is it possible? Or have to I use real network more than one machine?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by BigBeginner

And the second: I have one machine, so can I make servers/cliens without network? For example I start my server-program two times, and the clients programs should to list the 2 server-names - is it possible? Or have to I use real network more than one machine?

I use DirectPlay in a different Language (Blitz3d), but for your 2nd question, it would be useless to make a server/client program just for one computer, but it can be done. If you actually want people to actually connect to your application, it best to make a server application for your machine, and make a client enabled application for clients connecting to your application.

What is the dialog that appears, and you want to disappear? Is it the Windows XP SP2 firewall dialog? If so, it can be made to go away by using the firewall control API. I seem to recall that http-get has code to do this.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
No, it's an DirectPlay dialog - it would be spare to take an screenshoot (all of it's text is hungarian). An internal dialog window appears at MODEM connection, IPX connection... so its surery directplay dialog.
That sounds like DirectPlay version ... 2? 3? It's fairly old.

First of all, you should know that Microsoft has put DirectPlay in sunset mode; it is no longer being recommended for new development, and bug fix/update support will end at some point. Thus, you might want to use something like ReplicaNet, RakNet, or other libraries suggested in the Forum FAQ instead.

Second, I suggest looking at the DirectPlay 8 samples; they go through all the things you'd want to use for a game browser. You'll need to get an older SDK to get these samples, as the newer SDK versions don't include it anymore.

You might want to start here.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Umm... I use DirectPlay7 SDK, but it contains DirectPlay4 interface. I downloaded a newer SDK, DirectPlay8, but it doesnt contain DirectPlay interface, just DirectPlay8Server, DirectPlay8Client and so on.
Hm... ok, I have to start the directdraw learning again... :( and translate those links, that you gave... By the way, I dont think there is a problem with DirectPlay4 except that dialog window... screw it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement