insights on DX 10

Started by
16 comments, last by blueshogun96 18 years, 7 months ago
My engine uses base dll's to plug in graphics API's. Now I have the opengl plugin done and want to start working on the DX one. My question: I heard DX 10 will be completely different: 1. Will it still be easily usable in my c++ engine. 2. Should I wait for it to come out before starting this plugin (work on other aspects till then). -CProgrammer
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CProgrammer
1. Will it still be easily usable in my c++ engine.
Yes.
Quote:2. Should I wait for it to come out before starting this plugin (work on other aspects till then).
I wouldn't. DX10 has some cool features, but you certainly won't be hamstrung by 9.0c. And features which you **need** DX10 for likely won't be available on midrange consumer hardware for quite some time.
Thanks for the reply.
What still bothers me however, is that im less worried about what DX10 has in terms of features. But does anybody know how it will be structured. Is porting a DX9 app to DX10 trivial?
I heard that DX was going to be scrapped in Windows Vista, and replaced with Avalon... of course, I'm probably wrong, seeing as how Sneftel seems to know about DX 10 [smile].

As for your actual question, if MS decides to keep DX, I wouldn't expect a huge change in its interface. Pretty much, I would guess just find & replace ID3D9 with ID3D10 and stuff like that.

Just my guessing and could be completely inaccurate. Cheers!
- fyhuang [ site ]
Quote:Original post by fyhuang
I heard that DX was going to be scrapped in Windows Vista, and replaced with Avalon... of course, I'm probably wrong, seeing as how Sneftel seems to know about DX 10 [smile].

Firsly read this, then bother to google what Avalon is and you'll see that its not remotely the same thing.

Quote:
Just my guessing and could be completely inaccurate. Cheers!

So why guess?
Sorry, this annoys me, if you dont know the answer then just dont post!. Spreading 'guesses' and 'misinfomation' doesnt help anyone at all..
Quote:Original post by fyhuang

As Sneftel pointed out.. you're utterly wrong.

Quote:
As for your actual question, if MS decides to keep DX, I wouldn't expect a huge change in its interface. Pretty much, I would guess just find & replace ID3D9 with ID3D10 and stuff like that.

Utterly wrong again. The DirectX 10 API is a complete rewrite once known as fahrenheit and is not a COM API compatible with future versions. It is quite a major change and everything is based on the programmable pipeline and the legacy fixed function pipeline is finally taken out of the API. The performance is also tuned up because of an architecture change and batch rendering is eased up a little. It would be fair to say that they took a hint from the GL engine architecture and looked at their own kernel/user swaps to fix this long-time issue.

As for the question above, if your engine/application are shader based than it will be fairly trivial to write a DX10 render system as long as you have an abstract render system. If you are using the fixed function pipeline than you will have more work cut out for you but it's nothing too difficult at all.
Thanks for the replys.
Based on them Ive decided to optimize ouit the opengl part for now, since this will probably not change as dramatically and then implement DX10 when it comes out.

-CProgrammer
is there any information on the LDDM or the new input system windows vista will use, I want to start developing for it already, are there any sdks out already? Thanks guys, also, I think this has been answered but in a way I didnt understand, I heard once that OpenGL will be emulated to DirectX, is this true? That'd suck.
So is DX10 not using COM? If it is then the whole principle of COM is to support old interfaces. I guess if it wasn't called DX but something else that would clear it up. So - is DX10 a new set of multimedia libs that do the same kind of stuff as DX does now, but better?
I'm pretty sure DX10 would still use COM for it's low level interfacing, even though the managed version might not run over COM this time.

The main changes, I expect, would be to do with small batch performance, and general API overhead reduction. Since they're dropping much of their backwards compatibility, the API should be much cleaner as well.]

Porting shouldn't be a problem in a well structured renderer.
Looking forward to it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement