How easy is the torque engine???

Started by
13 comments, last by NovaCaine 18 years, 7 months ago
Okay, some of you are going to think this is the dumbest question in the world...But I am so curious about Garage Games Torque Engine. My C coding is a pretty rusty, so what I was hoping was that the torque engine wouldn't require much C programming at all. Is this true? How hard is the toruqe game engine to use? Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Philippe
Advertisement
Well maybe not a stupid question in my oppinion, but a hard one ;)

Torque, as game engine is complex no doubt there, BUT it's not just complex, the scriptlanguage and editors are both powerfull and somewhat intuitive.

The documentation is not that briliant though, and I have found it hart to feel complete control, and the best places to get updated is the community forums, which may not come as a surprise. often pour documentation lead to a good community, where users are restricted to the help others can offer.

I would say that torque (TGE) is a great tool, and since you get the code with the engine you CAN enable any features you need, but it don't always come easy.

But the script language and editors are often enough to get you a long way.

I hope my input have helped some at least it's hard to tell someone you don't know how hard a particular tool is to learn ;)

well I myself are new to Torque and I guess there are tons of people knowing more on the subject.
"Who ever put in this magic number should die, in the face" - found documented in the code of TGE
Well, I don't consider myself to have a good knowledge of C++. I am just intermediate - I know the basics, maybe some more advanced stuff but I still have a lot to learn. Anyway, currently I am working with Torque Shader Engine and all I can say is ... that hurts. ;)

It's the most complicated code I've ever worked with! Even though you have nice scripts and editors, there are still many situations where you can't go on without changing the engine's code.

You can spend months learning it. Anyway, if you can give it so much time, it's probably worth it. Torque is one of the greatest resources to learn real engine architecture!

You might be interested in Torque Game Engine (TGE) since it is a lot easier to get on with. It's 100% done, there are tons of good resources about it, there is great garagegames community and it uses OpenGL as a graphics API so there is a chance you are familiar with it.

If you thought about TSE, I must admit that it is still lacking many features since it's in a middle of development.

To put it briefly - I wouldn't recommend it to a person who has just started the journey with programming (not only because it's a commercial engine). But, if you feel that your C++ skills are pretty solid, GO FOR IT! :D

Hope it helps!
___Quote:Know where basis goes, know where rest goes.
Yeah, that is what I was mainly talking about, the Torque Game Engine....Not the shader engine.I'm just so impressed by it, especially after I played Tribes.

-Philippe
i've used it thru a course i have done, and i agree it is a good engine. but i found that unless you really wanted to get your hands dirty and change the engine code, anything created with it still had the same look and feel.

the scripting language is all you need to learn if you are just wanting to make a game but to make something to make ppl not think it's a mod for tribes would take alot more work, but alot leass than having to wirte your own engine ;)

this is just my 2 cents, My classmates and I ended up using Renderware for our class project "Goliath" and we were all happy with the outcome.

Hello,

Just by curiosity how could you get the Renderware engine, I ask this because as far as I know it is really expensive, or dose it have a learning edition?

About torque I have never used but I could recommend the Cipher engine, it is a really good and powerfull engine with a structure REALLY similar to Quake III engine, maybe you could take a look at it (www.cipherengine.com)

Regards,
Oscar
We were lucky, the course paid for the licence. but now i hear that EA are giving it to schools for free or REALLY cheap for educational purposes.
Cool, thats great!, I have used in the past (when licensee cost about $1000),and is a really cool grpahics engine.

By the way congratulations for your class project "Goliath", it looks really cool!.

Regards,
Oscar
Torque is very powerful and really fairly easy to use if you work at it. Best way to get a grasp on it is to pick up the 3D Game Programming All-in-One by Kenneth Finney and the followup Advanced 3D Game Programming All-in-One which just came out last week.

Both books cover nearly every aspect of making a game with Torque, using scripting only since the book does not include licensed source code, but you can get a good feel for the engine before becoming a licensee that way.
well thats some great input I think :) most of the stuff I agree with without blinking. great engine for little money, but it's not perfect.

but the reason I returned with an answer was another.

Quote:
Just by curiosity how could you get the Renderware engine, I ask this because as far as I know it is really expensive, or dose it have a learning edition?

I'm not sure but I think that Renderware have some "academic agreement" which mean that some "selected" schools get both academic license and high support, my school where I studied at tried to get an renderware academic licence and the offer looked really good, but I think they don't have resources to give full support to just throw licenses at universities.

Quote:
About torque I have never used but I could recommend the Cipher engine, it is a really good and powerfull engine with a structure REALLY similar to Quake III engine, maybe you could take a look at it (www.cipherengine.com)

Sounds great, I will surely take a look at it, further I don't know how they are as a game engine, but "Ogre3D" Is a engine I loved to work with (though you will have to work near the code, and you have to know your way in c++), and "OpenScenegraph" is an engine I personally haven't worked with but it could be of interest maybe, if you are new to this I though it could be of interest to look at some free engines. but as said I think it will be more code in those.

!Though! those Free alternatives are not as all-round as torque (or as cipher maybe?) both of the alternatives I gave here are so called rendering engines and not full game engines

And by the way @NovaCaine: WOW! It's looking really great!

[Edited by - Qrikko on September 8, 2005 3:35:08 PM]
"Who ever put in this magic number should die, in the face" - found documented in the code of TGE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement