Sign in to follow this  
Lazy Foo

what are the major C++ compilers?

I'm putting together some SDL tutorials and I want to expand the setting up SDL tutorial and the SDL extension library tutorial. This is currently the compilers/IDEs I plan to cover: Windows ------------------ Dev C++ (done) Code::Blocks Borland MS Visual C++ 6.0 MS Visual C++.NET Linux ------------------ KDevelop Anjuta Eclipse Code::Blocks g++ command line Mac OS X ------------------ XCode Eclipse CodeWarrior g++ command line Is there any ones I'm forgetting? Also if I didn't cover your OS of choice, sorry these are the only OSes I have access to.

If you're covering IDEs seperately you may want to consider both Borland C++ Builder and Borland's command line tools as two different entities.

Also look at the Intel compiler, and the Comeau "compiler". Oh, and DigitalMars.

Don't waste your time with Codewarrior. It's dead. Also, be sure that a person who follows your instructions will create Universal binaries by default.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Horatius83
Eclipse with the CDT plugin?

IIRC, the CDT plugin only works on x86 machines.

Which is like saying Windows only works on x86 machines. Pretty offtopic. And I'd be suprised, given that it's coded in Java, and does all it's C++ compiling/debugging using external tools. Could be wrong though.

Quote:
Original post by MaulingMonkey
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Horatius83
Eclipse with the CDT plugin?

IIRC, the CDT plugin only works on x86 machines.

Which is like saying Windows only works on x86 machines. Pretty offtopic. And I'd be suprised, given that it's coded in Java, and does all it's C++ compiling/debugging using external tools. Could be wrong though.

I mentioned it because the OP listed "Eclipse" under OS X (Eclipse itself works on OS X, but not the CDT plugin). On a second look, it appears that it works on machines other than x86s, but it doesn't work on PPCs.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
I mentioned it because the OP listed "Eclipse" under OS X (Eclipse itself works on OS X, but not the CDT plugin). On a second look, it appears that it works on machines other than x86s, but it doesn't work on PPCs.

Which version of the plugin are you talking about ?
At least the 3.0.0 plugin is available aslo for PPC, see here:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/eclipse3.1/dist/3.0.0/

So to add to the list:
Windows
Eclipse+CDT for Win
Mingw (is a gcc port for Windows)
DJGPP (is another gcc port)

A list of compilers can be found here:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/compiler-dependencies.html#faq-38.5
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#Tools

When talking about makefiles you may also mention tools like scons.

Quote:
Original post by RichardS
Don't waste your time with Codewarrior. It's dead. Also, be sure that a person who follows your instructions will create Universal binaries by default.

You must be kidding ... CW dead ? or should I say that most PS2, PSP, NGC use CW as development platform.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy

Ahh. Didn't see it there...

Okay, not so off topic then, my bad.

Quote:
Original post by c0mas
You must be kidding ... CW dead ? or should I say that most PS2, PSP, NGC use CW as development platform.

I wish it was dead. I have to use CW for PS2 and GC. I prefer to do all my coding in VS.NET, then switch to CW when I have to run the game in the thing they allegedly call a "debugger". I cannot see how the developers at Metrowerks can come up with such blatantly stupid software that they have the nerve to call an IDE.

Basic MinGW32/GCC -- I run it from the command line and with makefiles as often as not. Dev-C++ uses it, and Code::Blocks can use it (does by default), so you might even reorganize so that the user does the basic stuff that is common to all MinGW32-based environments first, and then "If you are also using Dev-C++ or Code::Blocks or MinGW Developer Studio or Ultimate++ or etc., do this also".

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by c0mas
Quote:

that or SN Systems compilers :-)

Quote:
Original post by c0mas
Quote:

that or SN Systems compilers :-)