what are the major C++ compilers?

Started by
18 comments, last by noNchaoTic 18 years, 7 months ago
I'm putting together some SDL tutorials and I want to expand the setting up SDL tutorial and the SDL extension library tutorial. This is currently the compilers/IDEs I plan to cover: Windows ------------------ Dev C++ (done) Code::Blocks Borland MS Visual C++ 6.0 MS Visual C++.NET Linux ------------------ KDevelop Anjuta Eclipse Code::Blocks g++ command line Mac OS X ------------------ XCode Eclipse CodeWarrior g++ command line Is there any ones I'm forgetting? Also if I didn't cover your OS of choice, sorry these are the only OSes I have access to.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
If you're covering IDEs seperately you may want to consider both Borland C++ Builder and Borland's command line tools as two different entities.
Eclipse with the CDT plugin?
"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
Also look at the Intel compiler, and the Comeau "compiler". Oh, and DigitalMars.
If you going to cover g++ from the command line for linux and OS X, you should consdier mentioning makefiles and make. And possibly emacs.
Quote:Original post by Horatius83

IIRC, the CDT plugin only works on x86 machines.
Don't waste your time with Codewarrior. It's dead. Also, be sure that a person who follows your instructions will create Universal binaries by default.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy

Which is like saying Windows only works on x86 machines. Pretty offtopic. And I'd be suprised, given that it's coded in Java, and does all it's C++ compiling/debugging using external tools. Could be wrong though.
don't forget visual c express ...
I just wanna get this done.
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
Quote:Original post by Roboguy

Which is like saying Windows only works on x86 machines. Pretty offtopic. And I'd be suprised, given that it's coded in Java, and does all it's C++ compiling/debugging using external tools. Could be wrong though.

I mentioned it because the OP listed "Eclipse" under OS X (Eclipse itself works on OS X, but not the CDT plugin). On a second look, it appears that it works on machines other than x86s, but it doesn't work on PPCs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement