Best // Easiest way to make a text game editor // maker

Started by
12 comments, last by stylin 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I was just wondering, what would be the best // easiest language (free) way to make a program that allows people to easily create text games. my friend keeps begging me to make one so im givin in. help plz ^_^
Advertisement
Check out TADS and ALAN.
i wanna make my own system... using coding for more flexibility, what would best way to do that.. i.e visual basic... python... c++... and so forth..
Uhhh, if you have to ask that question I'm not sure you're ready to make what you're talking about.
no.. i just wanna know would it be worth me workin my ass off with c++ or just sail through with a basic language.. because its a text game, would there be a major difference?
If you already know a BASIC language, and you don't want to spend time learning a more sophisticated language, then skip C++ and do your game in QBasic, or VB. Bad coding habits aside, a BASIC language will allow you to crank out a text game in no time flat, even with little knowledge of the syntax. C++, on the other hand, might take a little more time to produce the same game if you've never used it, but if you're looking to become a better programmer, then that is the road to take, imo.

Whatever you decide, just stick with it and post some screenshots when you're done!
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
dev c++ still the best free compiler around?
Here's some links for you. As for what's better, someone more familiar with Dev-C++ can give you some advice.

Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
Visual C++ Express Edition Beta 2

EDIT: For completeness:

Visual Basic Express Edition Beta 2
FreeBasic
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Heck, if you know what you "need to do" to get this type of program done, you should consider using C# to get it done. True it's a new language and you might not know anything about it, but you can easily learn as you go (if you are that type of person of course, practice makes perfect) and you can end up with a great product with not so much effort. You can easily make a GUI based program that creates text games that way with Windows.Forms (GUI component of C#). You can get Visual C# here. Just one idea.
c# ... harder or easier than c++.. and will it help me in the future to make games... lol
-*edit* - by making games i mean making game creaters... i.e a rpg maker program later on (very later on).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement