Python or Basic?

Started by
41 comments, last by smr 18 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I was wondering if Python or BASIC is better to start off with. I have python and LibertyBASIC on my computer, and im tryin both. What are the pro's and con's of both?
Advertisement
BASIC is a horrible, horrible language. It will teach you bad habits which you will spend years weaning yourself of. Go with Python.
basic is a little easier to learn than python since it's alot closer to spoken english. But they are both definitely alot easier to learn than say c/c++.
pro's: they both require alot less typing than other languages like c/c++ to get stuff done(see "code complete" book for numbers)
con's: both dog slow compared to c/c++
both require you to include redistributables with your executable in order for user to run your programs
oh yeah another con that only applies to basic is that it will teach you bad habits that will be hard to break later. I think there is even some famous quote that goes something like "basic programmers are brain damaged beyond hope to learn any other language."
that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Choose Python then, because BASIC is old, and was used for nonprogrammers to program relatively simple problems.
Why is it that when people mention BASIC, you drag up old issues that applies to BASIC-languages from the late 80's.
The speed of the compiled applications depends on the compiler and not the syntax, and most newer BASIC-languages are NOT runtime interpreted.
I've seen and done benchmarking tests from languages like PowerBasic, PureBasic & BlitzMax and trust me, they do not fall behind.

So please stop with the old phrases, "It's interpreted, needs loads of runtime files and it's slow", because this simply ain't true anymore.
<-Sweenie->
Quote:Original post by Sweenie
Why is it that when people mention BASIC, you drag up old issues that applies to BASIC-languages from the late 80's.
The speed of the compiled applications depends on the compiler and not the syntax, and most newer BASIC-languages are NOT runtime interpreted.
I've seen and done benchmarking tests from languages like PowerBasic, PureBasic & BlitzMax and trust me, they do not fall behind.

So please stop with the old phrases, "It's interpreted, needs loads of runtime files and it's slow", because this simply ain't true anymore.

I agree. It's not the language it's the programmer. And most basic nowadays are very structured. The one I use (FreeBASIC) can compare it's speed (expression-wise) to almost 95% with that of GCC. I also use C, C++ , ASM and Pascal but I keep coming back to BASIC because it's fun to code with.

BTW, Freebasic can also use almost all C libs like OpenGL and SDL.

As a comparison, I made a FreeBASIC and C++ demo(OpenGL+SDL). Almost the same code and I don't notice any speed difference.

C++
http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?id=48

FreeBASIC
http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?id=47
Hi.
Hi there rt004,
How are you doing buddy?

The Problem
Learning BASIC or Python

The Solution
From my personal experiences with programmers that have used basic is that it's hard for them to learn other languages such as c-style languages cause of the huge syntax difference. Coming from a c-style learning language and coding in basic is easier. I would also say that with VB and C-style languages such as C#, c++, python that it comes down to the programmer although you find some people that code in VB learn horrible habbits as mentioned above.

There aren't really any pros or cons to the languages, I'd just say that the community has a strong point when it comes to languages and the general belief is that c-style languages are a better choice to learn.

Final point. Python ;)
I'd say that Python is a lot more relevant in todays world than BASIC. If this was 1985, rather than 2005, I'd suggest learning BASIC, but it's not, so go for Python.
Python is leagues ahead of every version of Basic that I've had the misfortune to use. Does your version of Basic come with these?
  • An XML parser
  • Socket functions
  • Regular expression parsing
  • Convenient sequence and mapping types
  • inheritance and polymorphism support
  • functions that you can pass as parameters to other functions
  • Free downloadable MySQL and SQLite support
  • String handling functions such as splitting at delimiters

If not, then use Python.
You forgot multithreading support too.

Python is MUCH more developed than Liberty Basic. Also, if you use the PyGame extension you'll be able to run your games on Macintosh and Linux without much if any adaptation. Liberty Basic is stuck with just Windows.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement