I have potiential, but can't make up my mind....

Started by
3 comments, last by TheNobleOne 18 years, 7 months ago
On what programming language to use. It seems like I start to loose interest pretty quickly. I am pretty comfortable w/ the BASIC programming language, and know VB and QBasic well. I've taken a couple of C++ classes at school. I also have Dark Basic (which can't seem to spark my interest at all). As I look around here, I notice a lot of talking about Python. I'm a Network Operations Technician, and I know that a lot of programs for our Unix boxes are written in Python. More server stuff I know, the better of course. Is python used a lot for games? How powerful is it, and what kind of games could I potientially make. What other easy to learn/powerful languages are out there to known to make games. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. - Philippe
Advertisement
Python is used in some AAA titles as a scripting language. For example, Freedom Force and the Third Reich employed Python, though it wasn't written exclusively in Python.

Python can in theory be used to write any kind of game. However, staying exclusively in Python can lead to performance problems. It is common to begin writing a program in Python and then port parts that need more speed to C or C++.
I guess too, I am just super impatient. I want quick results. That's why I always liked Basic...Cause I got those quick results. Maybe I just have the wrong C++ book too. Heheh

- Philippe
Blitz Basic is an alternative to consider if you want quick results. I know what you mean about Dark Basic though, I had the original & after using it for a few months suddenly discovered it couldn't do half the things I wanted. To be honest, an API like OpenGL isn't that much more difficult to use & does a lot more. As to what language you choose, that's for you to decide, though python or C/C++ are definitely worth looking at. (Personal preference - C)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
If you like basic for its fast results you might want to try Visual Basic.Net. It is much better then VB6 because it has the full power of the .Net framework and it is fully OOP now. (Object Oriented) Not only that but you get the power and ease of use of MDX (Managed DirectX). If you know you like something why leave it. If you learn VB.Net enough and you are careful in your planning you can write code just as performant as C++. My personal Prefference is C++/C#. C# is a .Net language and that is what I am currently using now and learning MDX. I have a early in development 3D Engine in the works now. I know the full basicis of MDX very well and I have only been messing about with it for about 3 months now. But I have been using C# since it came out so I never tried VB.Net except for a little lookaround at its new features. I can't wait to get into the more advanced topics of MDX it is very nice to use.
My JournalComputer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter. (Eric Raymond)"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes itharder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."-- Bjarne Stroustrup

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement