Sign in to follow this  
slavik

An OGL library for a beginner? (And game engine?)

well, not exactly a beginner ... (C/C++, Java, Perl, etc.) What is a good OGL library to use? I would like something equivalent of DirectX (has support for sound and video all in 1 library). Main points: -fast (doesn't take ages to draw 1 triangle on a high-end system) -easy to learn (I shouldn't have to sit with a reference book on creating a window if I had already done so numerous time, ie: function names make sense) -has good book available (to teach me everything or almost everything I need to know). Game Engine questions: 1. Is the Unreal2 engine anything to write home about? (I like the fact that it has it's own scripting language, meaning mods are very portable between minor version) 2. What is a good book on writing mods for the Q3 engine? (old but good engine IMO) Any other books on engines is welcome.

Quote:
Original post by slavik
I would like something equivalent of DirectX (has support for sound and video all in 1 library).

Take a look at the current information on SDL in the FAQ in progress. I think SDL is the way to go for you. I personally love it. Note that you simply enable support for OpenGL - by default it doesn't use it. I don't really have anything to offer on the second question, sorry.